Defense Against the Dark Arts: Lupin Addition

Start from the beginning

But Draco's eyes were shining malevolently, and they were fixed on Harry. He leaned across the table.

"Thinking of trying to catch Black single-handed, Potter?"

"Yeah, that's right," replied Harry sarcastically.

Estella watched Malfoy's thin mouth curve into a mean smile. "Of course, if it was me," he said quietly, "I'd have done something before now. I wouldn't be staying in school like a good boy; I'd be out there looking for him."

Estella scoffed and cocked her head, "Shows how much of an idiot you are, then."

"What are you talking about, Malfoy?" said Ron roughly.

"Don't you know, Potter?" breathed Malfoy, his pale eyes narrowed.

"Know what?" His grip on her hand slightly tightened.

Malfoy let out a low, sneering laugh. "Maybe you'd rather not risk your neck," he said. "Want to leave it to the dementors, do you? But if it were me, I'd want revenge. If not for you, then for Estella." Her face crinkled in confusion; she had no idea what he was referencing.

"What are you talking about?" said Harry angrily, but at that moment Snape called, "You should have finished adding your ingredients by now; this potion needs to stew before I can be drunk, so clear away while it simmers and then we'll test Longbottom's...."

The end of the lesson in sight, Snape strode over to Neville, who was cowering by his cauldron.

"Everyone gather 'round," said Snape, his black eyes glittering, "and watch what happens to Longbottom's toad. If he has managed to produce a Shrinking Solution, it will shrink to a tadpole. If, as I don't doubt, he has done it wrong, his toad will likely be poisoned."

Estella sighed, grateful she'd helped him correct it. The Gryffindors watched fearfully. The Slytherins looked excited. Snape picked up Trevor, the toad in his left hand, and dipped a small spoon into Neville's potion, which was now green. He trickled a few drops down Trevor's throat.

There was a moment of hushed silence in which Trevor gulped; then there was a small pop, and Trevor the tadpole was wriggling in Snape's palm. The Gryffindors burst into applause. Snape, looking sour, pulled a small bottle from the pocket of his robe, poured a few drops on top of Trevor, and he disappeared suddenly, full-grown.

"Five points from Gryffindor," said Snape, which wiped the smiles from every face. "I told you not to help him, Miss Dumbledore. Class dismissed."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Estella climbed the steps to the entrance hall. Estella was silently developing ways to poison Snape without being caught.

"He didn't even say I couldn't help him," she scoffed as they walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts. The class followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom and trailed behind as he led them along the deserted corridor and along a corner, where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away; then, he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin-" Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers. Everyone looked quickly at Professor Lupin to see how he would take this; to their surprise, he was still smiling.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," he said pleasantly. "Mr. Flinch won't be able to get in his brooms."

Lupin then led them down a second corridor and stopped right outside the staffroom door.