↬ | chapter five

Start from the beginning

     "I'm sorry— I don't mean to be disrespectful, but— Clarke wouldn't just abandon us," Jasper piped up, a wave of determination striking through him. Beside him stood the girl that had been right all along, and he was just coming to realize that.

     Those who lived in the mountain, including the elderly man that stood in front of them, had proven themselves to be liars already. And that was on their own.

     Well, with Maya's help too.

     Maya was informed that Clarke was in a psych ward, safe. Now Maggie was never in such a scenario, but she assumed that there wouldn't be any possible ways to get out of that room if the person living in it was presumed to be kooky. It'd defeat the purpose, right?

     So, they had been lied to. Both of the delinquents in the office knew that, clear as day.

     "I wish it wasn't the case," Dante replied, but he showed no signs of negative emotion.

     "Well, are you looking for her?" Jasper faltered after a moment of dead silence from the three of them.

     "I can't risk the lives of my people to bring back someone who doesn't want to be here," Dante denied, now standing only about a foot or two away from the children. "I hope you two can understand that."

     "Yeah," they both looked down at the floor at the same time, knowing deep-down, he was right. To be fair, she acted nothing but ungrateful; Maggie wouldn't send a search team out for Clarke if she was in Dante's position either. 

     "What I can do is let you go after her yourself," he proposed the idea, and it took everything in the Gray girl to not let out a cheer of success.

     Never in a million years did she think the opportunity would open up for her from the president of the goddamn place himself. But, knowing she was too close to screw up the opportunity, Maggie simply bit her lip, acting as if she were contemplating the decision. "Can we come back?" she questioned, wanting to seem like the girl she was portraying inside of the mountain.

     "Of course you can. Maggie, Jasper— this is your home now. You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like," he placed a hand on each of their shoulders, and his generous words were enough to put bright, genuine smiles on each of their faces. Wallace made his way to the entrance to his office, gesturing for someone to open the heavy, see-through doors for them. "Let me know what you decide."

     "President Wallace?" her voice came out as a faint whisper. Jasper had left the room, and now it was just the two of them.

     Jasper going was not a part of her plan. Absolutely not. It was bad enough that she was putting herself in this position. No way— he was happy there. For the time being, it was safest for him to be there. With Maya, with Monty, with all of their friends. Hell, the girl didn't even know what she was going to find out there. For all she knew, all of the sky people could've been dead— nothing but charred bones. 

     "Yes, Maggie?" his eyebrow raised, the two making their way back into the depths of his office.

     "I think I need to do this," she insisted, never more sure of something in her entire life. Not only was it a real Magnolia Gray thing, but it was now a Mount Weather Magnolia Gray thing too.

     "You don't need to do anything if you don't feel comfortable with it. It's alright to put yourself first every once in a while, Miss Gray."

     "Jasper wants to go— but he can't bring himself to. He'll believe me. I can go out on my own," Maggie assured the man, hoping he wouldn't take back the offer if only she was interested in doing so. "When may I?"