(21) Interrupted

* * *

Why are some memories more intact than others?

Impact and significance; they must be related to something important.

- Collin

* * *

It is close to 5 o'clock when Emma returns to office, and while most of her colleagues are beginning to wind down, she is only about to get started. She leaves the umbrella in the corridor to dry and hurries back to her station.

"Can't believe you'd forget such important documents!" Tess remarks when Emma thanks her for helping her collect the file from Ethan. It contains numerous proposals that she has to vet by the next day. She looks at the clock and grimaces, knowing that there is no chance for her to knock off on time for sure. 

She plops herself down at her desk and kicks off her heels. They have given her blisters; her skin became even more delicate due to the rain. She runs a hand through her slightly damp hair and moves it all to one shoulder. She shakes her head to wake her mind and exhales. Then, she picks up a pen and begins browsing through the papers.

Hours later, the office is cleared of people. Emma tilts her neck from side to side until she hears the cracks that momentarily relieve her neck-ache. She lifts her head and takes a long, agonising breath as if the air above is fresher. The amount of work she has to do is never-ending. It is of course, partly due to her own doing because she took such a long break for the holiday and now accumulated such a hefty backlog. Can she go home today? The truth remains to be told...

She gives herself some self-encouragement and tries to continue. Just then, a door clicks open and a small glimmer of light escapes the room to illuminate her table. She whirls around, and Matt approaches her with a look of surprise.

"Not done yet?" he asks, as he walks over and sits down on the table behind hers.

She is definitely glad that she isn't alone in this lifeless office, even though it's probably not for long since he looks like he is on his way out. He drops his briefcase beside him and rolls up his blue sleeves.

She shakes her head sadly; she is far from done. "Why are you still in?"

Matt shrugs. "Just looking through papers."

Emma nods in acknowledgement, and they stare at each other in silence. She wonders why he isn't leaving; he simply remains in his position.

"Um. So, I didn't drive today," he explains.

Emma only blinks at him. She isn't sure what he's getting at.

"I haven't taken the subway in ages. I'd like a companion, so maybe... I'll wait for you?" he asks, and rolls his lips inwards.

It isn't long before a smile breaks on her face. "I'd like that," she says. Isn't that great? It wouldn't be so lonely after all. And it isn't anybody else's company. It's his.

He cranes his neck to see what she has on the table. "How long more do you think you'll take? "

Emma flips through the remaining work papers and lifts her brows. She shakes her head slightly and cringes. "I don't know, maybe another hour and a half?"

"Do you want a sandwich? Or something to munch on at least. You're gonna miss dinner. I can go grab that for you."

Since he offered, she accepted. She nods and mumbles a soft thanks, and Matt grabs his coat and pushes himself off his cushy seat. "Be right back."