(5) Worst Date Ever

Dedicated to MarvellousMystery. Thanks so much for reading this story again and showing it so much love! (':

▬▬▬▬▬

Emma broods as Ethan drives her to her least favourite sport - a blind date, kindly arranged by her magnificent mother. The dowager has also engaged Ethan's escort services to ensure that Emma does turn up. Lucky by Jason Mraz plays through the radio, and Ethan hums along cheerily, paying no heed to his tone deafness.

Faced with overwhelming evidence, Emma isn't sure if she is supposed to start believing Collin's words now. She has the necklace - that's hard evidence that she has indeed met such a person. Two of Collin's prophecies have also come true. Still, the whole proposition is simply too absurd to accept. Which rational person would?

"C'mon Em stop pulling that face," Ethan says gently as he makes a swerve. "Blind dates are not that bad. Just say hi and bye and it's done."

Emma gives a frustrated sigh. "I'm not going to marry anyone I meet from now."

"Why? Don't be so pessimistic!"

"That's just how it's gonna work."

"Oh c'mon -"

Emma stares vacantly into the distance, mulling over whether time-travel could really be possible in the distant future. Did Collin say they'll meet again? When will that happen? Logically speaking, he ought to be a conman, but Emma has got nothing conned out of her, except for her mind maybe, and in fact, she is starting to sway and subscribe to his words.

"Em..."

"How're things between you two now?" Emma asks in a bid to change the topic and take her mind away from the mystery. She watches Ethan's face fall and realises belatedly that she has stepped on dangerous grounds.

His lips twist into a contrived, pacifying smile. "Well, you can always check the tabloids. But I'm okay, no worries!"

She keeps silent, lest she steps on yet another minefield. It is odd, however, that the two have given each other the cold shoulder for such an extended period this time. To be honest, they have been breaking records quite a bit lately with regard to their arguments. Emma looks at Ethan with sympathy but he gives no bother and turns up the music's volume as if that can make him feel better. Emma searches for words to say but Ethan simply switches the topic and asks her about work. He keeps at it until they enter into the driveway of the cafe, their destination for the day.

"Well, good luck!" Ethan wishes her, and Emma reciprocates with a plastic smile, pained for him, and pained for herself. Emma unbuckles the seat belt morosely and alights. She watches him drive away worriedly, wondering if their relationship is really on the rocks this time. Sighing, she enters the building with heavy steps.

* * *

The café is busy, filled mostly with young adults working away on their laptops, making full use of the free wi-fi provided. The aroma of coffee and pastries wafts through the air and the ambience is complete with soothing jazz music playing in the background. Emma sits in a corner and spends her time flicking through the tabloid, frowning at the rampant articles and pictures of Sarah and another model called Derrick.

It's not always true, isn't it? HollywoodLife is just gossip, after all. She doesn't even notice a person approach her.

"Hello Emma," a deep-voiced man says.

Emma glances up from her phone and when they lock eyes, she gasps in shock.