(6) Beginnings

Finally arriving at a resolution, Emma swipes left for Joshua's message and deletes it for good. She finds that she has no reason to see him and no desire to even connect with him. Exes are things she should stay away from for her own personal well-being. She drags herself into her house and slumps down onto the bed, exhausted from the day.

James was pleasant, but neither were interested in each other clearly. He isn't much of a confident person, so Emma tried to leave him encouraging words before they part. She has never believed in blind dates anyway, finding the whole setup sorely anti-romantic. She'd rather take her time and maybe discover relationships serendipitously. She is smart, young, and full of appeal. She is confident she'll find someone someday.

Such thoughts inevitably lead her to Collin's words which give her pressure. How can she marry someone in a year now when she is still living in perfect solitude? She hopes it's not going to be an impulsive one because that would suck, big-time, and such a marriage goes against her beliefs.

As she continues rationalising, her phone lights up with a vibration. Still lying comfortably on the bed, Emma brings it above her face, flicking the tab open to reveal a Facebook message from Matt.

"Hey Emma, I'm sorry about today, please forgive me?"

Emma scrunches her nose at it, surprised that he actually sought her out, then sends back, "why are you Facebook messaging me?"

The thinking ellipses appear almost instantly and Emma waits with bared breath for a response.

"Then do you want me to text you instead?"

Emma gasps. This guy is smoother than she thought. After some deliberation, she taps back "Anything" and waits with anticipation.

A notification banner drops to reveal a message from the new number and a smile creeps up her face unknowingly.

"So are we cool?"

She taps back another reply, not quite sure what's the thrill she is feeling from this activity. "That really wasn't nice. But you're my boss, what can I do."

"Right. I know. I am sorry."

"You were passing by the place?"

"Yeah, was there for lunch and happened to bump into you, so I figured to say hi... and you said I was your blind date so..."

"So you pranked me? You could have told me I got it wrong!"

"I know, I know. I'm sorry."

Emma fires off an angry face although in reality, she is far from it. She is closer to expressionless than anything.

"So how was your date in the end?"

"It's okay."

"Was I a better date?"

Emma stares at the blatant attempt at flirting. And yet, she isn't quite antagonistic towards it. It has been far too long since someone said something like this to her, and she may be ashamed to admit it, but it got her heart pumping a little faster than usual.

"Ironically," she replies. She falters when no further responses come in. Stoning at the page, she wills for something to appear only to find a last seen just now stamp. Her face falls in slight disappointment, but really, what does she expect?

Resigned to her fate, Emma leaves her phone on the table and heads for a toilet break. She cannot help but sneak glimpses at it still as she makes her way there. When her phone vibrates once more, Emma nearly scrambles to open the chat, and the message sends an unlikely wave of euphoria down her spine. Even if it is silly, she let it be.

":) Yay. See you at work tomorrow."

▬▬▬▬▬▬