(22) Agent

"What luck we have," Emma says when the lady starts vacuuming the floors. She isn't as upset this time, however, and even lets out a laugh at their predicament. After all, her confession just got accepted. There are more things to celebrate than to complain.

"We need somewhere more private in future," Matt says. He crosses his arms and leans back against the wall.

"Well," Emma's lips curl into a small smile, "I better finish my work first."

Matt nods, and they part ways for the time being. She returns to desk and plugs in her earphones, adjusting the table-lamp slightly before she begins the drill once more. Amidst the emptiness of her surroundings, her heart is full, knowing that she is off to somewhere. A smile continues to linger on her lips even as she ploughs through the endless sea of words.

At 10 o'clock, Emma finally finishes. She packs up, then quietly walks towards Matt's office, where he is taking a nap. She gently knocks on the door, and he stirs awake.

"I'm ready to go," she says, "thanks for waiting."

She wraps her hands around her elbows because it is getting a little chilly. Matt shakes his head and blinks furiously to wake himself from the slumber. "Oh, no worries."

He gives her a warm smile and hastily grabs his stuff. He switches off the lights and places a hand on her back to lead her out. The warmth of his touch makes her flinch, because she is ever so sensitive, yet welcoming, to any contact with him. 

A few minutes later, they are walking down the streets en route to the subway station. Their office is situated in the prime location of the city, flanked by a stretch of swanky bars and restaurants that Emma hardly ever dines at because the prices are sky-high. She usually walks this path with Tess, and at rush hour, it is congested and suffocating. Right now, however, the roads are devoid of people sans the bar-goers, and the place is serene. The New Year's decorations are still up in full force, giving this place much more life and energy. The pavements are damp from the rain, and the puddles of water capture the diffuse bubbles of light. It is a relief that the rain has stopped, but Emma clutches onto the umbrella tightly in her hands, ever ready for another downpour. Being someone who associates objects with people, she finds it queer to be holding onto something that comes from someone she doesn't give a bother about. Still, circumstantial reasons tell her she needs it. 

They descend into an underpass that leads them to the station. There, the same busker stands at the corner with his guitar case sprawled on the floor, now filled with change. He strums his guitar and sings his usual pop songs heartily, probably one of his last ones before he packs up. Emma has passed him enough times for him to acknowledge her as an acquaintance, and he never fails to flash her a grin when he sees her. She smiles back, and he lifts an eyebrow knowingly to see her walking with a male companion.

Finally, they board the train, and it isn't surprising that they have the whole carriage to themselves. They share a good twenty minutes of conversation - mostly mundane things about work. Still, when she reaches her station, she finds herself reluctant to leave his company.

No, she can't just let the night end like this. Nothing has been consequential other than the confession. The doors open, and she hesitates. Finally, she does the only thing she could think of. She turns to face him, tiptoes and leans forward. Pressing her hands against his sturdy chest, she gives him a kiss on the lips, and Matt lets out a small sound of surprise. She lets her heels touch the floor gently, and has finally finished what they left behind hours ago. 

"See you tomorrow, Em," he says as he tucks his hands into his pockets, a satisfied grin tugging at his lips.

As the doors close, Emma thinks that it is a blessing in disguise that she has to stay back today. Else, she wouldn't have been given the last few hours with Matt, and none of this would have happened. As she traces her steps home, she finds herself playing with her necklace. It doesn't matter that they haven't met before. She is going to be with whoever she wants. She is the agent of her life.