Chapter 2 - A Fresh Determination

Start from the beginning

When Masato was a mere inches away, catching his breath, he continued, "Please wait a moment. Shining Saotome wishes to speak with you Kurashina-san."

"Huh? But why?" I looked at Ayame, and she returned my gaze, looking just as clueless.

Instead of replying, Masato swiftly gestured to follow him. And so, we were once again led back to where we came from. I couldn't overrule a nervous feeling swarming in my stomach at that moment. I sought Ayame's hand - she returned it with a firm squeeze.

.

.

.

We finally reached the headmaster's office door. Knocking twice, Masato gently opened the door, unveiling the somewhat stoic atmosphere inside. Ayame and I were greeted by a middle-aged man in shades. I must say, his appearance actually deemed him as the academy's headmaster. That is.... until he spoke,

"Guurlllsssss, I've been expecting youuu."

(Eh... THIS is Shining?! I totally didn't see that kind of accent coming....)

"You have? How so? Does this have to do with the exam...?" Ayame questioned as she glanced at the headmaster in a pretty confound way. 

"That's riiiight. Mister Hijirikawa here tells me that Miss Kurashina doesn't deserve the grades she gooottt. Is this true?"

(Hijirikawa-san did? Really...?)

This time, Headmaster Saotome eyed me up and down. I felt even more nervous considering I couldn't see those eyes behind his sunglasses. Masato, on the other hand, stayed quiet and composed.

"U-Umm..." I knew not knowing the reason would just be a lame excuse, but I couldn't form any other answer inside my head as justification.

"Actually, I think so too headmaster." Ayame stepped forward with confidence. 

"Ayame! Not you too! It's fine, really. I don't have any proof either way..."

An unsettling silence draped the entire room. Headmaster Saotome kept the silence to himself, sucking away even my supposedly confident opinion. I couldn't do anything other than look down.

"It seems further discussions would be unnecessaryyyy... I'll ask you then-"

"Headmaster! Please reconsider your decision. She has talents yet unseen, I can feel it. I ask again, please." Masato's voice had never sounded so adamant and his eyes with resolve.

It still left me to think why he's going so out of his way to help me. His kindness warmed my heart though, that's for sure.

"Hmmmmmm......" His declaration receded with the headmaster's deep groan.

The clock ticking was the only sound yet again in the room, stretching mere minutes into hours. We all, however, returned Headmaster Saotome's gaze with full attention.

"...Very well... Miss Kurashina can start studying here."

Ayame and I broke out in a cheer, but it couldn't have been more short-lived with his next words.

"However. ON ONE CONDITIONNN!!!"

"H-Huh? What condition?" Ayame asked, pretty instantly.

"A very special event is coming up. Various idols and groups will be perrrfooorrrming, and I want Miss Kurashina to hold a live concert there toooo!"

"Eh? But don't you think that's a bit too sudden--" I was about to object, but got cut off with Headmaster Saotome's booming voice, "In the idol industry, you never know what will be thrown your waaayyy! You have to take risks and step out of your comfort zone if you want to achieve your goaaaallll!!!"