Chapter 9 - Let's Grab Some Meat! (1)

The new room was already arranged for the interview and everything - there were two sofas on the side of a four-seater in the middle. The dim camera lights were levelled on this set-up in all refinement. The cameraman took his place behind the main camera; correction, the only camera in the entire area. Ranmaru, Masato, and Ren sat on the extensive sofa respectively all the while skimming through the pages one final time before the countdown ended.

Ayame and I were gazing at them from the sidelines, pens ready to jot down any helpful information.

"3.... 2.... 1..... Start." The cameraman spun the recorder as a red light blinked underneath the lens.

The three men plastered on their finest smiles while staring right into the shiny lens focusing back and forth. The hosts sat up straighter as the interview went underway. The air in the room switched full-on pro mode - my skin actually broke out in goosebumps, not out of intimidation, but marvel and praise.

(So this is how pros carry themselves in their work... They all seem to be some whole other persons, in complete disparity to their usual selves seconds ago.)

The most surprising transformation was of Ren's. The way he was carrying himself was one of attentiveness and charm. As Ranmaru's energy and professionalism stood out, Masato was one of conceptuality and earnestness, but Ren was still not too far behind. He made sure to stay strong on his feet with a firm head and never missed any opportunity to show off his appeal no matter how obscure.

One of the hosts started, "So then, we've heard that you three have known each other as far as showing mutual respect. Moreover Jinguji-san and Hijirikawa-san! Aren't the two of you childhood friends?"

"That we are. As fellow heirs-to-be, we used to meet up at elite parties a lot as kids. Right, Hijirikawa?" Ren inclined marginally forward on one elbow as he brought the talk on Masato.

"Yes unfortunately... But truthfully, that was also the reason for how I am here now. I'd say you reaching out to me that time was actually what saved me from my past life, and made me recognise my dream of growing into an idol." 

To all of our surprise, Masato actually accepted Ren's little tease with hardly any ill intent, turning it into a pretty touching memory for the audience on the other side of the lens. This also drew out a soft, proud chuckle from Ranmaru's end. The rest of the interview progressed without a hitch and before we knew it, it had already concluded. After expressing their earnest gratitude to the three idols, the staff members exited the room to get started with the tedious editing process. Now left behind, I glanced down at my notepad, only then realizing how the pages were filled with a neat array of information that I tried to gather throughout the program. 

(Wow, I didn't even know I took down so many points until now...)

While I was skimming through the context, a sudden burst of applause combined with Ayame's voice derailed my train of thought.

"That was so cool! The way you guys acted was amazing!!"

She certainly didn't work on hiding her excitement, beaming with wide eyes and squealing in amazement. I wasn't sure if that was a wise decision to make though, considering the slightly irritated look highlighted on Ranmaru's face.

"Yeah, yeah, thanks and all... But take your enthusiasm down a notch, will ya?"

"O-Oh! I guess that was pretty childish of me, my bad for getting carried away..." 

As Ayame sheepishly lowered her gaze, Ren stood up from his cushion on the sofa and started with a smile, "Relax, Ran-chan. She only desired to admire our talent. Why not appreciate the lady's praise?"