Chapter Twelve

Malachi's first thought was to grab Dhara and run, take her somewhere safe. Shocked that he would think of leaving the prince just to protect her, he froze for a few seconds.

"Malachi, Brynn needs our help!" Dhara said urgently, bringing him back to the matter at hand. He glanced at Forlorn, who pushed the prince's chair back and took a protective stance before it. He turned to Dhara and Brynn, the former looking worried, the latter sweating and looking strained.

He took Dhara's hand. It was just like old times. Dhara probably already knew what to do, but fear for her friend eclipsed all rational thought. He had to calm her, help her focus. Her hand was soft, the palm baby-smooth. He smiled, remembering her determination never to have callused palms and subsequent purchase of every hand cream known to man. She'd even imported one from the Northern World, just to discover that it was simply honey and shea butter.

She made them return her money in 24 hours.

"Breathe, Dhara."

"If I wasn't I'd be dead now, wouldn't I?" she snapped. Then she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"That's right," Malachi murmured, rubbing her hand.

"Sorry for snapping at you."

"Forgiven. You are Creator-blessed, Dhara, brimming with life magic. If the queen can amplify death and destruction, you can..."

"Amplify life," Dhara whispered. She reached out and placed a hand on Brynn's back. "I need to make her stronger so that she can fight them."

"Good. Do you know how?"

"Yes," Dhara took in a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "It's the same way I create my charms or wards: imbue them with power. I just didn't know it was life magic."

She gripped Malachi's hand, closing her eyes to focus better. Her forehead furrowed in concentration, and the prince got up to look. Forlorn sighed and stood behind him. The silence was tense, and for a few minutes, nothing happened.

Suddenly, Brynn drew a sharp breath, and her eyes focused. She shifted a little in her chair.

"Her eyes are red," the prince muttered. Forlorn became even more transparent, and Malachi sensed she was preparing to make a move. The air in the room smelled of ozone.

"The traveler is coming," Brynn murmured. "I tried to shield my mind, but the traveler was able to see the room. He is coming."

Dhara gasped; Malachi reached for his sword, just as a tall man popped into the room out of thin air. Before the intruder could take another breath, Forlorn flew across the room and slammed into him.

Brynn jumped out of the chair, and the prince came over to support Dhara, who was trembling. Malachi, still crouching, spun to face the intruder, whose eyes were closed. Then he opened his mouth, and the voice that issued forth was that of Forlorn.

"It has been long since I possessed a body. This one is very fit, albeit male."

"Report, wraith," Malachi growled. The traveler snapped to attention.

"His name is Julian. His ability is traveling or jumping, or teleportation. He was to come here with the queen, but something interfered, so he came alone. Once he opens his eyes, the Queen's seer will see his location, allowing the Queen to open a portal to here."

"Why didn't she do that in the first place?"

"She doesn't know where this place is."

Malachi looked at the prince askance. The boy shrugged, as bewildered as Malachi felt.