Part 36

Claire hurried to her cabinet of drugs. She was surprised that no one from EMBER had bothered to come here and steal any of these. Then again, Volcan was the only one who knew that she was making these. She wouldn't want any others trying to steal her secrets.

Volcan. Volcan had to be dead. Arlo's ability had been a defensive one. A strong one too, which might have given him a nice defense passive. Volcan, however, didn't have one. Her ability was something along the lines of fire claws. A purely offensive ability. Arlo was almost dead even with that strong ability of his. Volcan had to be dead. 

But fear still crept up her veins. What if Volcan was alive? What if Volcan was coming to get her? What if Volcan was going to kill her and everyone else?

Her breathing became fast and erratic. Tears rolled out of her eyes while she squeezed her knees, crouching next to the box of her inventions. 

John didn't want to comfort her at all. He had only come with her because he was the only one with both a strong ability and a non-injured body, in case someone was here to ambush them. He had also partially come so that maybe he could get his revenge. No one would be here to watch him yell at his former friend.

But right now wasn't the time. Something was seriously wrong. And they couldn't afford any mistakes. He bent down right next to her and awkwardly patted her shoulders in an attempt to comfort her. Her breathing slowly started to calm, and her wretched sobs started to become soft huffs. She finally wiped away her tears and looked up at John. 

John hated her, but he was still trying to be civil with her. She didn't hate John, although she wouldn't say she liked him either. 

But at that moment, they were just the two children at New Bostin. Just for a moment. 

*********************

The two trudged into the hospital room, a small bulge noticeable in Claire's pocket, presumably the liquid they needed. The two looked a little awkward, but nothing seemed too out of the ordinary. 

Claire was just relieved they had gotten in without being caught, but John was still suspicious. There would most likely be traps set up in case someone was bringing in something illegally. It was a little too easy. 

Far too easy. 

Seraphina: You guys are here?

She saw the vials inside Claire's pockets and sighed. She knew Arlo would be horrified to wake with no ability, but this was Arlo's only way of living. 

Seraphina walked them to the door of Arlo's room. They couldn't see much, due to the bed being shielded by curtains, but this was the right room number all right. They looked left and right, making sure that there were no doctors or nurses around to see what they were doing. Seraphina's hand closed around the doorknob and started to turn it.

Anya: What are you guys doing here?

Seraphina and Claire jerked back to her voice. They huffed when they realized it was only Anya. 

Claire: We're just visiting Arlo. 

Anya's face became stone. Then, she looked down at Claire's hands, where she saw a bottle. She slapped Claire's hand so hard that she dropped the vials, making everyone stare at her with shock. 

Anya: What are those? Poison? Tell me. 

Seraphina angrily opened her mouth to respond when Anya began to cry. Unsure of what was going on, she knelt down softly next to Anya. 

Anya: Are those ability removers?

Everyone paused for a moment. How did she know this? Anya scoffed when she saw Remi's bewildered face.