You Look Like A Cloud

Start from the beginning

She nods as if I gave her the right answer. She gives a quick thanks before going off again. "The two minutes you are standing on the stairs will determine your social status for the rest of your life."

"Wow," says Rory.

I thought of myself walking down the stairs in the heels. "What if you trip?"

Libby halts her movements as she looks at us with wide eyes. "I mean not that you would," Rory quickly adds to reassure the girl.

"Speak for yourself," I joke with a chuckle. "Could be a cirque du soleil kind of night."

"You should not even joke about stuff like
that-" Libby stops herself with a grunt of pain as her hair is brushed too harsh. "Ow! There's a head under there, you know!" She snaps at her hairdresser in the mirror.

~~~

Waiting for seven-thirty to come around, Rory and I sat in two chairs in the corner of the room. We didn't want to be in everyone's way as they rushed around with half done hair and make-up.

With a book in both our hands we sat in comfortable silence as we read. Well, slightly less comfortable since the dress I was wearing made it hard to breathe. On second thought, maybe it wasn't the dress. Maybe it was the nerves for tonight.

Considering that my dress looked a lot more comfortable than Rory's one I shouldn't complain. It was slim fitting from the waist up with sleeves that stopped just before my elbow. The dress' skirt starts to fan out with elegant frills and lace towards my ankles.

I see Libby approach us. "You want some?" She asks, holding out a flask that was filled with most likely alcohol.

Rory looks at me with a knowing glance. "None for us, thanks." She says for the two of us as she closes her book, to be polite.

"More for me then," she shrugs. Unlike Rory, I went back to my book. She could hold down the fort for now. I ignored their conversation as Libby said something about neon green puke.

"Cassie?"

I looked up to see Rory looking at me. "Sorry, what was it?"

Libby just grinned. "So, are you gonna marry your escort?" She asked, leaning forward in her chair.

I blinked at her. "Um, no definitely not. I'm not even dating my escort," I explain as Libby looked disappointed. "He's just a friend."

"Huh, I guess it's just Rory then."

I turn to my friend with a raised eyebrow. Rory merely blushed and avoided my gaze. Her and Dean? I mean, I knew they loved each other. I just didn't think it was that much of love.

Before either of us could respond, Libby averted her gaze to someone behind us. "Katie, hi!" I turn around to see who I assumed must be Katie Hettington by the scab on her face. "Too bad about your face," Libby continues sympathetically.

I brush some of my dark hair out of my face. My mother decided to leave it be and just curl it, instead of making some fancy updo. Which I will be forever grateful for.

"Is it horrible?" Katie asks as she turns her head to the side to give us a clear view of her scab.

Libby gets up and gives Katie her hand. "No, you can hardly tell," she lies. "Just walk sideways." They both walk away hand in hand.

Rory and I share a look that said 'yikes', before turning back to our books.

~~~

We were waiting in a line before the stairs. I turned around and saw Rory and Dean engaged in conversation. I decided to give them some privacy by looking for Luke. He said he would be here but I was afraid he wouldn't show. These kind of things weren't really Luke's forte.