The Lake Girl

"You want to play beer pong?" Someone shouted over at me, I politely shook my head, taking a sip out of the cup that I was holding. 

Here I was, being dragged to a Halloween party, wandering around to find my friend who took me here. As I strolled, a drunken person nudged me and almost sent me falling on the floor, I cursed under my breath - forgetting how much I hated this scene. Sipping more on my drink, I walked past a couple making out as I was heading for the glass door that led to the outside. 

One guy sitting on the porch - he looked out of it - but other than that, there was really nothing out here as I observed. I took another sip from my cup, downing it all the way before I threw the cup on a pot. Walking down the stairs as I narrowed my eyes, couldn't believe what laid before me. I tend to get foggy when I drank but as my feet reached the ground, approaching closer to the figure standing by the lake, did I start to whisper. 

"Alaska?" 

The long-haired blonde with pink highlight girl turned around and I was left with my mouth agape in disbelief as she smiled at me. "You missed me?" She uttered. 

I bit the inside of my cheeks, it hurt. This wasn't a dream. But how could this be happening? Alaska was missing when- wait, exactly on this day during a Halloween party as we both strolled out of a party, bored. I braced myself to walk even closer to her, slowly reaching my hand out. "Is this really you?" 

"Yeah," Her head looked down on my hand resting on her shoulder, frowning. 

Pulling my hand away from her, I looked at her from head to toe. She was still wearing the same outfit from last year - a sleeveless blue dress with the knots tied around her neck that ended just right at her knees. 

"What happened?" I muttered softly. 

"It's a long story," She heaved out a sigh, looking away. "We'd be here a long time if we talked about that." 

"I love you," The voice lingered in my mind as if taking me back. I decided to pull my phone out of my purse along with the headphones plugged, putting one in my ear, then handing the other to her. "Do you want to dance?" 

Hesitant, she stared at the device in my hold. Then she took it in hers, putting it in her ear. A grin tugged at my lips, scrolling on my phone to play something before putting the phone back in my purse as I took her hand to hold. She slowly rested her arms on my back, and I lied my head on her shoulder, we just walked along the bridge for a while there.

"I did miss you," I whispered, then she broke away from the embrace as soon as the words escaped my lips. We gazed into each other's eyes now as we were only inches apart, the beating of my heart probably gave away all my woes. 

"So did I," She muttered, pausing. "Every day, I keep trying to find a way just to see you. But nothing happened. I kept lingering at parties, knowing that you'd be there, but nothing. Well, until tonight." 

"Well now you found me," I trailed, "You could stay," I added. 

She snickered, "It's not that easy. I wouldn't have said those words if I knew fate would break us apart. I regretted hurting you and I already risked everything to be here." 

There was pain within the words that sounded like a knife hitting my back over and over. "What are you talking about?" I asked. 

"I can't come with you," She broke away her hold from me, drawing herself further. But then she glanced at me again, "But you can come with me." 

I was frozen on the spot, letting the light breeze seeping through my skin. A part of me wanted to break out and leaped into her arms, saying yes, but another just wondered, where would I go? She was still looking through me, observant, or more like pleading with her eyes. But someone shouted over the distant music playing, their footsteps nearing closer to me. 

"Who are you talking to?" 

As I turned around, she was gone, disappearing into thin air. My headphones were back in my purse as so did my phone, secured, I stared at it longer than I needed to until my friend nudged me on the shoulder, waiting. 

I glanced at my side, "Nothing, I mean, no one," I was still puzzled.

"Well, let's go back inside. It's chilly out here and we need more players for beer pong." 

Huffing at the last sentence, but I trailed behind anyway. As I was about to make it inside, I turned around to see her looking over the lake, with a frown on her face. I had just disappointed her yet again.