Chapter 22

Ahsoka moves through the crowd of unsettled civilians, catching snippets of shock and confusion.

"They found the King lying in the gutter!"

"He was as cold as stone."

"Who killed him?"

"He probably heard about the rebels' recent victories and decided to end everything before the Republic can arrest him."

Ahsoka smirks- their plan has worked. The news has spread like wildfire.

Manipulating Rash was easier than she thought, and after a few drinks, he was completely willing to swallow the vital suppressor that Ahsoka gave him in the bar. He was too kriff-faced to notice that Steela and Ahsoka were tossing their drinks away whilst he got drunker and drunker.

"I don't know why we couldn't have just actually killed him," Steela whispers as they look over Rash's sleeping body inside the base.

"Because killing a monarch is not something that rebels want to be responsible for, no matter how corrupt the government is." Ahsoka explains, "Rash can pay for his crimes in front of a Republic court- not through death."

She looks up at Rex, "Let's cuff him in case he wakes up."

The Captain hesitates, "Seducing, intoxicating and feeding a vital suppressor to the King of Onderon has to be one of your more reckless ideas, Commander."

"Maybe, but if the Separatists want to play dirty, then we have to too." She glances over her Captain's shoulder, "What did you report, Saw?"

"Everyone in Iziz has heard about King Rash's death." Saw announces, glaring at Rash's sleeping form, "If we don't strike now, Dooku will flee."

"Then it's time." Steela turns to Ahsoka, "Are you sure you want to do this in your current state?"

"I can fight Dooku." Ahsoka says, annoyed there's so much doubt in her. She pauses, looking around the cluster of rebels, "Should something go drastically wrong, Rex will get you all off Onderon, including King Dendup. The Republic will grant you amnesty, and they'll send aid."

"Why would they send aid when they haven't done anything to help us so far?" Saw questions.

"Because" Rex's tone is brittle, "the Jedi Council and GAR won't let it pass if Dooku kills a Jedi Commander on Onderon soil."

Ahsoka nods.

"On that note, good luck." Steela says, smacking her bruised shoulder.

Ahsoka winces inwardly. Her left arm is completely paralysed, but the rebels don't need to know that.

Lux grabs her functioning arm as she tries to leave, lowering his voice, "Do you expect to walk away from this, Ahsoka?"

She hopes her smile doesn't look forced, "I'll be fine, Lux."

The droids part for the Padawan as she walks inside the palace. It's intimidating, knowing she's about to fight a Sith Lord who took her Master's arm off. Ahsoka's not exactly in the best state to fight, but they don't have another choice.

She comes to a stop in the throne room, seeing Dooku has taken up residency on the throne.

"Padawan Tano, welcome to the palace." He says with a smirk. "I'm sure you've heard about King Rash's dreadful accident."

"It's a real shame." Ahsoka says, keeping her voice level and calm. If Dooku knows she's scared, he'll prey on that.

"I have no doubt the rebels were involved in the homicide."