Grief Weighing Hard

Stormchaser felt tears streaming down her face. Lightningflash was positioned on her back, her head swiveling around as she looked around. Stormchaser didn't want her daughter to remember this as her first day. Thunderheart flew toward her and smiled warmly.

"What are we going to do now," asked Stormchaser as she flew aimlessly, not even sure where to land. She looked around but was afraid that she would land right into danger.

"I'm not sure," confessed Thunderheart as he angled his wings a bit. "But I promised your brother that I would keep you and Lightningflash safe."

Stormchaser dipped her head a bit before she realized that her wings were strained from flying and she realized that she needed to land. She dove down and landed, shivering a bit as blood ran down her body. Thunderheart looked battered and bruised as well.

Lightningflash leaped from Stormchaser's shoulders and slid down, shaking her head a bit. "Follow me little one," breathed Stormchaser gently as she limped forward, trying not to strain her body anymore than she already had.

She found a small overhang and realized that it would be fine to settle down. She laid down and rested her head on her paws and groaned a bit. Lightningflash curled against her and yawned, showing her teeth a bit a bit. Stormchaser chuckled in utter amusement at her daughter.

Thunderheart strode toward his mate and licked her cheek. "I'm so sorry for everything that's happening. I suppose I'm not that great of a mate after all." He hung his head.

Stormchaser stretched out her neck and urged Thunderheart to look into her eyes. "It's not your fault, I promise. Sometimes things happen. Starbound warned me of this."

"Starbound," echoed Thunderheart in shock. "You mean the wolf heaven? Why were you there?"

Stormchaser bit her tongue. "I haven't been there in moons I swear!" She flicked her tail a bit and sighed. "I used to talk to Smolder Moon, a wolf I used to know. She told me that hard things were to come. I didn't believe her and I got angry at her. I haven't been there since."

Thunderheart shrugged a bit, not seeming mad at all. "Well hopefully the worst is over," he muttered into his chest before he began to groom his wings and the rest of his wounded body. "Now we'll just have to make due right now and pray that Iceshard doesn't want to finish this."

Stormchaser didn't want to see Iceshard ever again. She let out a billowing breath and looked at Lightningflash who was slumped against her stomach. Stormchaser folded a wing protectively around her daughter and held her close.

"You should tend to your wounds," offered Thunderheart as he began to chew some leaves into a pulp and nudged it toward his mate gingerly. "We don't want them to get infected."

Stormchaser really couldn't care less but she didn't want her mate to worry. She took the pulp and spread it over her wings and her chest and a little on her shoulders. Once she was finished she laid across the ground and blinked her eyes up at Thunderheart.

"We'll make it through this," assured Thunderheart as he laid down and rested his head on Stormchaser's back before allowing his tail to drape around Lightningflash. "I promise."

Stormchaser believed him, it was just hard right now. Everything seemed like it was crashing down on her and she didn't understand why. She just hoped that Darkflight, Russet Feather, and Skypacer were alright.