Fire!

Stormchaser awoke and scented something in her nostrils. She lifted her head and gasped in shock as she scented smoke. "Wake up," she cried as she lashed her tail against Thunderheart's flank before grasping Darkflight's shoulder and shook him awake.

"What's wrong," groaned Darkflight as he thrust a paw over his nose and shook his head a bit.

"Smoke," cried Russet Feather as she rose to her paws and looked around madly, her fur spiking. Wind Racer bolted upward beside her mentor and looked around with wild eyes.

"And where they're smoke there is a fire," whimpered Wind Racer as she pressed against Russet Feather and his breath started to quicken.

"We have to get out of here," growled Skypacer before she padded into her den and roused Heavystep. Heavystep groaned from weakness but Thunderheart pushed in and helped Heavystep to his shaky paws. They padded from the den and noticed that trees around them were starting to come ablaze.

"Where should we go," asked Darkflight as his head swiveled around as he looked for a good escape but he really couldn't find one.

Stormchaser let out a breath and took a step forward and looked around. "We have to get above the blaze," she told the group. "Or we'll die."

"What about our pack," fretted Russet Feather as smoke began to travel rapidly toward them. "We can't just leave them. They won't know where to go!"

Stormchaser was torn but she couldn't let any of the wolves die, at least not after Wolverine Claws became alpha. She let out a sigh and nodded. "Alright but we have to make this quick," she muttered as she darted forward and landed on a rock with her wings pressed against her sides. "Let's go!"

The group surged forward and it wasn't long before Russet Bird took the lead. She wiggled through the brush easily but the dragons were a bit out of their element. When a burning tree fell between Russet Feather and Stormchaser Russet Feather barreled around with her green eyes flashing. "Take to the sky," she told the group over the crackling of the flames. "It'll be easier for you and you'll be able to get there quicker."

"Russet Feather no-," began Darflight as he pushed beside his sister but Russet Feather lifted a paw to stop him from talking.

"I'll be fine," she assured as the flames crackled. "But we have to go, now!"

Stormchaser saw that Wind Racer was standing rigid, standing with his jaw gaping. Stormchaser swiveled her head around and grasped Wind Racer's scruff and threw him on her back. He yelped a bit before she took to the air with Darkflight, Skypacer, Thunderheart and Heavystep following.

Above the trees Stormchaser could see that the fire was engulfing everything. Wind Racer perched himself on her shoulders and whimpered. "Russet Feather," he whimpered as he looked down.

"It's okay," chided Stormchaser as she looked up. "Your mentor is the most powerful she-wolf I know. I promise you'll be fine."

Wind Racer wasn't so sure but he lowered down between her wings and closed his eyes. Stormchaser veered in the direction of the wolf's camp and turned to Darkflight, Skypacer, Thunderheart and Heavystep. "We're going in. Be careful!"

She lowered down on a branch and her weight combined with the charred wood made it splinter under her weight. She leaped onto the ground and ash seemed to erode her paws. She lowered her head and Wind Racer darted forward through the mess of burnt leaves. "Russet Feather! Russet Feather!"

"Stay back," snapped Darkflight as he veered forward and pushed Wind Racer back just as a flaming branch fell where he had been standing. "Don't rush in without looking around. We don't want any casualties."