Flying Lessons with Night Furies

It had been almost three months since Deathwhisper's death. Swiftstream was finding it difficult to support her two children. However she made do and even found enough to give to the queen to keep themselves under the radar. It was difficult but she did it without ever showing how much it wore down on her.

Skypacer had taken care of Darkflight and Stormchaser when Swiftlight couldn't and she had almost became a second mother to the two growing Night Furies. They were growing slowly but still were far from adult or even teen Night Furies.

However when they were finally old enough and their wings were strong enough Swiftstream decided to teach them how to fly. She bounded up to the two younglings as they wrestled with each other and tired to pin each other wings down. They bit at each other's throats gingerly.

"Are you two ready for some flying lessons," asked Swiftstream as she flicked her ears upward a bit.

"Now," asked Stormchaser as she pushed her brother off of her and pushed toward her mother with bright and unblinking eyes.

"Dad was supposed to teach us how to fly," complained Darkflight in a flat and deflated voice.

Swiftstream tried not to let her disappointment show. "Yes but he's not here so I'm the next best thing," she assured as she nudged Darkflight forward gingerly. "Now don't expect to be good on your first go. You're still young."

"Yeah but powerful," cut in Stormchaser as she puffed out her chest in pride. "Dad said do."

Swiftstream bit her tongue. "Yes you are but you must pay very close attention to what I say so you know what do you." They both nodded so she took in a breath to try and calm her nerves. She was aware of Skypacer watching her but luckily she didn't chime in.

"Now the first thing I'm going to teach you is power skills," she explained as she spread her wings. "You have to thrust yourself upward and flap it under your stomach so that they almost touch. That's at least to get up." She began flapping her wings and abled herself to stay where she was with her wing tips almost touching. They would need that to get up but rarely in the air.

Stormchaser lowered down before spreading her small wings. She then began flapping them and she took off into the air. However she flipped herself forward and she fell on her back, pawing pathetically at the air.

Swiftstream nudged Stormchaser back on her feet. "Now try not to flip forward. Lean backwards a bit until you're stable in the air," she instructed.

Darkflight took those hints and spread his wings. He began flapping them and he took off. He had the strong power in his wing. He made it pretty hide before he became tangled in some branches. He grunted as his wings snagged and he couldn't move.

Stormchaser broke into a yowl of laugher and rolled on her back. Darkflight narrowed his eyes. "Stop laughing," he snapped to his sister as he dangled from the tree.

Swiftstream rolled her eyes as she padded to the tree and reared on her hind legs. She stretched her head outward and Darkflight landed on his mother's head. She lowered her head down and he jumped off, shaking each paw in turn.

"Are you alright little one," she fretted as she began sniffing her son.

Darkflight pushed her away. "I'm fine! At least I got higher than Stormchaser!"

Stormchaser narrowed her eyes at her brother so Swiftstream decided to break up the arguing. "How about we work on something else," she decided quickly. "Gliding."

"Gliding," the two echoed as they exchanged uneasy glances with each other.

Stormchaser nodded. "Yes. Skypacer could you help me?"