Memories Awakening

It was late when Stormchaser and Darkflight finally arrived home. Swiftstream tried not to make a huge fuss but she was relieved that they were alright. The two just brushed off their mother's concern and affection. They just made their way to their nests and Stormchaser and Darkflight drifted off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stormchaser blinked her eyes open and saw seemed to be peering into her den. She saw herself with her mother and father. She was in between them with her parents gazing at each other happily. A small fire roared in the corner where her brother stared at the coals, almost mesmerized.

She could remember that day as if it was yesterday. Her father wrapped her tail around her while her mother leaned down, looking into her eyes. Her mother would murmur to her before licking her daughter between the ears, enough to make her scales soggy. She knew it was out of affection but she never knew why her mother had to produce so much saliva when she did that.

She always remembered that her father had usually called her Storm instead of Stormchaser. It was a cute nickname that he called her. Her mom had usually called her by her full name but that was alright as long as her dad called her Storm. She remembered how her father had told her that her name meant something special about her. Her and Darkflight were named their names for reasons and one day she would understand them.

She also remembered her father had showed her how to blast enemies with her hot plasma breath. She still hadn't perfected it but he had been so proud when she had done it her first time, even if it was by accident. If only those vikings hadn't taken him away and everything would have been fine!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stormchaser woke up with a jolt, looking around madly. She sighed heavily and saw that her mother and brother were still sleeping. She didn't want to wake them but she couldn't stay in the den, too stuffy.

She grunted as she rose herself to her feet and pushed forward, shaking her body a bit as if she felt like something was clinging to it. Perhaps it was just wavering grief. She padded to the entrance of the den and pushed into the darkness.

It felt like it was sweeping around her, like a large Night Fury, like her father. She laid down heavily as she thrust a paw over her face. She pawed at her eyes a bit, trying not to let the tears fall. Every night it seemed like it was harder and harder without her father. She usually went to bed hungry since it was usually her father's job to provide them with fish. She also missed wrestling with him and him showing her battle moves and other things that made her a Night Fury and a powerful one at that.

She felt wind slice through her ears and she moved her paw from her eyes. She lifted her head while the scales on the side of her head twitched. "Who's there," she asked threatening as her head turned around.

A whisper sounded beside her but when she turned her head in the direction she couldn't see anything. Confusion lit in her eyes and she thought that maybe her mind was playing tricks on her. She rose to her paws and was about to head back into the den. Before she could she heard another whisper and her head darted around.

"Who's there," she repeated as she bared her teeth. She tried to shoot a shot of plasma but nothing came out. She swore under her breath before she thrust her tail outward. "Show yourself!"

She blinked her eyes as mist seemed to unfold in front of her. It looked like her father. "Dad," she breathed as she looked up the misty spirit dragon up and down.

The spirit dragon dipped his head. "I am always with you, even when you can't see me," it whispered to Stormchaser in a whispery tone.

"Why did you have to leave me," she gasped as she looked up to her father, tears streaming from her eyes.

The spirit of her father looked to the stars. "The stars have a plan for everything. Don't doubt them, my precious Storm."

"Will I ever see you again," asked Stormchaser as she saw the color in her father's eyes and tried to always remember his voice. His strong and handsome voice.

Deathwhisper nodded slowly. "One day we will see each other again. It will be a while and you may think that I haven't kept my word but don't worry we will see each other again."

Stormchaser smiled and stretched out her nose. It grazed Deathwhisper's nose but he didn't smell like he did when he was alive. He smelled almost like frost and mist. However she was still glad it was her father.

"I love you Stormchaser. Always remember that."

He suddenly vanished and Stormchaser was left standing there. She looked around and she wondered if she had imagined seeing her father. However she knew it was real. His voice was crisp and real. It had been a miracle.

"Stormchaser," murmured Darkflight as he padded to the mouth of the den. "Are you okay? What are you doing out here?"

Stormchaser really didn't have any answered to his questions so she hung her head. "Er I thought I heard someone out here but it must have been just my imagination."

Darkflight gave a nod. "Okay well do you want to come in now? You can share my nest with me," he offered as he thrust his tail over his back.

Stormchaser smiled thankfully and pushed forward. They bounded into the den and Darkflight lowered into his nest first. Stormchaser lowered beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. She mumbled something before closing her eyes and drifting off into sleep.