Chapter 12: Strictly Professional

Start from the beginning

The half she could see was the face of a girl with ice-cold blue eyes and blond ringlet curls.

Curiosity getting the better of her, Bex walked over to the painting and uncovered it. She gasped as the beauty that lay before her.

This girl was magnificent. Porcelain-like skin, deep red lips, sharp cheeks bones.

"Emm," Lyssa came up behind Bex.

"She's beautiful," Bex said in awe.

"Tsk," Lyssa looked away, a look of disdain on her face.

"Who is she?"

"My ex. She left me 20 years ago."

"So, is she..."

"A vampire? Yes."

"I was going to say dead, but okay."

"Might as well be. She is cold and heartless. You think I'm bad, you haven't seen anything until you've met her. A true tormentor in her own right."

"I'm guessing you didn't end it on good terms?"

"No." Lyssa clipped the word.

"Oh." Bex eyed the painting, she found a girl but she could tell by Lyssa's reaction that it wasn't The girl.

After hearing Lyssa comparing her to this girl last night, she was curious, well now she was curious about this new girl. She wanted to know more about Lyssa's friend, about Lyssa's past.

"So what's her name?" Bex asked.

"Professional Rebecca, please restrain yourself from asking such personal questions." Lyssa covered the painting back up.

"You know we can be friends, it won't be the end of the world," Bex huffed.

"What makes you think I even want to be your friend?" Lyssa snorted in amusement as she made her way to the kitchen.

"Because you cuddle me at night," Bex mumbled under her breath.

"What was that?"

"I said because you are being so nice," Bex said louder.

"This is just common hospitality, do not mistake it for something else."

Bex rolled her eyes behind Lyssa's back.

"Well," Lyssa opened the fridge to Bex. "Help yourself."

Bex grabbed milk and cereal before sitting down a pouring herself a bowl. Lyssa watched her eat.

"Why do you do that? It's creepy," Bex said around a mouthful.

"Do what?"

"Watch me eat so intensely," Bex waved her spoon around.

"Sorry, I shall stop if it makes you uncomfortable," Lyssa averted her eyes.

"Yeah right. That's what you said last night," Bex cringed once she realized she had given herself away.

Lyssa tensed up and shot a wary look at Bex, wondering how much Bex had overheard last night.

"It's okay. I mean it's not a big deal or anything," Bex said after the silence stretched on for too long. She felt her cheeks heat up.

"I won't do it again," Lyssa quickly looked away.

"I don't mind," Bex tried to sound indifferent.

"No, we must keep this professional."

Bex sighed and poked at her cereal. She wasn't going to find out anything about Lyssa until the girl trusted her, but that was going nowhere fast. It didn't help that Bex had basically screwed up everything until that point either.