Chapter 8: Beyond the Shadow of Doubt

Per the usual routine the next morning Bex's mom came in to wake her daughter for school. She found Bex asleep on her stomach, her face smushed against her laptop. Next to her was the list of resources Bex's dad had handed to her. Many of the websites were crossed off.

Bex's mom smiled and shook her head at how adorable her daughter could be sometimes.

She shook Bex by the shoulder, causing her to shoot up in bed, her eyes red from exhaustion. Bex looked to her mother who looked to her laptop which had come back to life once Bex jolted awake. The computer showed a website that gave detailed instructions on how to kiss a girl.

Bex's face went bright red and she slammed the laptop shut. Her mom chuckled and ruffled Bex's hair a bit before walking out. Bex whined at the awkwardness before getting up to get ready for school.

She brushed through her tangled her before pulling it up. She slipped into a pair of red skinny jeans and threw on a plain white shirt. She shoved her feet into her usual shoes while at the same time putting her laptop into her school bag. After she washed up she went downstairs, grabbed a donut from the box on the counter, eyed her treacherous siblings, hugged her parents' goodbye, and quickly ran out the door to school.

Her heart raced in anticipation of seeing Joan. She felt all gooey and weird on the inside. For some reason, she was both extremely excited and couldn't wait for their date, while at the same time completely dreading it and wished she had never said anything to Joan at all.

She took the steps to the cafeteria two at a time before speed walking to her usual spot. Joan was waiting for with a wide smile that flashed her teeth. She just looked so happy to see Bex that it made Bex blush.

"Hey," Bex sat down at the table.

"Hey!" all her friends said in an overly peppier tone.

"What?" Bex eyed them in confusion.

"Joan told us she told you," Darci smiled.

"Finally," Mike sighed.

"Wait you guys knew?" Bex asked.

"We all did, Joan made us keep it a secret from you," Jaden shrugged.

"Really?" Bex turned to Joan to pout, she didn't like being the only one out of the loop.

"What? I wanted to be the one to tell you how I felt. And it worked out in my favor, so about our date?"

Just as Bex opened her mouth to say something a sharp pain in her neck stopped her. She cringed at the sudden onset of throbbing.

"Freaks in town!" Monroe called.

Bex's eyes shot over to Lyssa who was giving her a look, one that said come to me.

"Uh... hold that thought," Bex got up without looking at Joan and jogged off towards Lyssa.

"What?" Bex hissed as she slid into the seat across from the Lyssa.

The throbbing stopped.

"I have done extensive research into blood bonds and thought you might want to know my findings," Lyssa set her book down on the table.

"Do we have to do this now? I was sort of in the middle of something."

"In the middle of something?" Lyssa raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, if you must know Joan asked me out on a date," Bex stuck up her nose.

"Joan, the slayer girl?" Lyssa frowned.

"Slayer girl!?"

"You haven't noticed? I am positive your friend is a slayer."

"She is not!" Bex got defensive before glancing over to Joan who was eyeing the two of them.