nineteen

How could a heart like yours ever love a heart like mine? How could I live before? How could I have been so blind? ≈ Heart Like Yours, Willamette Stone

Kyle's POV

My mind is awake before my body is, ears alert when I hear a groan of pain next to me. I'm already sitting up before my eyes are even open, reaching out for my mate to try and help her in whatever way I can.

"Gemma?" I ask cautiously, not sure what's going on.

She doesn't answer me, instead she groans again, and her hand flies to her head. Her hands cover her eyes, pressing the palms of her hands into her closed eyelids. Her brown hair is tangled in a mess, I edown and brush it away from her sweat covered forehead. 

Then I feel it. The dull ache at the back of my eyes and for a second I panic. Until I figure out, it's not my pain. It's my mates.

"Get Drew." She pants out, pressing her palms into her eyes harder.

"Noah, get Drew here. Now." I mind-link him. He was probably asleep, but I'm too worried about her to care at the moment. I'll apologise later.

"Stacy is mind-linking him now. He'll be here as quick as he can. Is everything alright?" His voice answers in my mind, all signs of sleep gone from his voice when he realises it's serious.

"I don't know. Something is wrong with Gemma." I shut everyone out, focusing on my mate. I need to give her my full attention, not be answering a million questions from my Pack.

"Gemma, what's wrong? Drew is on his way." I tell her soflty, and she groans slightly again.

Worry and fear slowly coils in my stomach, ready to spring to action in case something happens. I can't let it control me, I have to stay calm. For my mate.

"It's happening again." Is all she can say before she starts breathing heavily, clearly uncomfortable and in pain. She's restless, lying there and constantly shuffling her position. 

I pull her closer to me, almost so she's sitting in my lap, gently caressing her cheek. She whimpers slightly, her pain seeming to decrease with my touch. I tell her that I'm here, that she's okay, even though I know it might not be true.

She's calmed down a bit now, but I know that most of the Pack is awake with an odd feeling. They know something isn't right, and they're trying to find out what.

"I don't know what's wrong, but her brother is on his way. I'll let you know as soon as I have some certain results." I inform them all, before blocking them out again. I don't need more questions in my brain.

It doesn't take long for Drew to show up, Noah right behind him. I can hear Stacy down in the kitchen, taking deep breaths.

"Gemma, what's wrong?" Drew asks her softly and she opens her eyes before quickly closing them again, another groan escaping her soft lips.

"It's happening again." She mumbles and once again I'm clueless to what she means but Drew isn't.

"We need to go. Right now." He bursts out, already starting to walk out the door. I don't know what's going on, but it's my mate and if her brother says we need to go, then we do.

I scoop Gemma up in my arms, her small figure easy to carry. She rests her head on my shoulder, letting out a small sigh before groaning slightly again.

We pass a few Pack members, all of them looking at me in alarm. I just shake my head, not having an answer for their unasked questions: Will she be okay?

I'm praying, to any God that will listen that the answer is yes. I need the answer to be a yes. Without her, I'm nothing. Without her, I couldn't live.