Chapter 22: The Ball Party

Start from the beginning

"Shut it." Marinette elbowed him. "What else was I supposed to say, Mr. Gentleman."

The blond goof ball grabbed her hand.

"These are Veet's friends, so they will surely speak English, right?" she wondered.

"I don't know him as well as you do." Adrien shrugged.

"Agreste! I don't even know his last name..."

"Hey, I am messing with you." He kissed her lightly on the ear. "I love you."

"I love you too."

They stepped into the mail hall

They stepped into the mail hall. This was no ordinary house for a party. The high ceiling, marbled pillars and smooth tiled floor with ancient decorations, statues and furniture screamed royalty.

They barely looked around before a group of strangers approached them, flickers in their eyes.

"Oh my God." the people gathered around Adrien, prodding at his outfit, shouldering Marinette out of the way.

"That texture-" said one before being interrupted by others.
"The details-"
"The perfect fit-"
"The effortless élégance !"

More and more people piled up, driving Marinette further and further away from Adrien. She reached for him, but he was too far. Then she felt someone grab her gently by the shoulders.

Adrien looked around like a hit chicken, searching for Marinette that vanished in the sudden crowd.

"Marinette?" he whispered, confused.

"-look at the delicacy of the fabric!"

"I have never seen such a wonderful work with the sleeves and-"

"-work of art!"

"Who made this, young boy?" said one woman, touching the suit with an almost religious respect. When Adrien opened and closed his mouth without saying a word, they repeated him the question in another dozen languages to make sure he understood. Adrien looked from face to face, looking for Marinette.

"She did." said a voice without a trace of an accent.

Adrien turned to see Veet holding Marinette by the shoulders, pushing her through the crowd.

The people eyed Marinette up and down with distrusting laser-eyes. They are surely telling themselves it's not true - I couldn't have made that.

It was too much pressure. Marinette squeezed her dress, almost ripping it off. She avoided all eye contact, looking at the ground, beginning to shake.

She heard Adrien step forward. He threw one quick, sharp glance at Veet clearly signaling to him: 'Get-your-dirty-hands-off-my-girl' and comforted her, whispering encouraging things to her ear.

In the near silence the people observed the blue haired girl, slowly realizing yet another wonder...

"Girl, and who made your dress? Tell us the truth. It's just so... Princess-like. It's Magnificent!"