Code XIX: Coffee and Tea

[One week later...]

"It's nice to finally get the chance to breathe some fresh air," Xora murmured with a sigh. "Although I'm surprised to find that you decided to join me. I'd assumed that I was going to take a walk through this little town alone."

"I'm only human," Levi shrugged in response, sticking his hands in the front pockets of his khaki pants. He tapped the toe of his dark slip-ons against the cement of the sidewalk before catching up to Xora, adjusting the sleeves of his sweater. "You're not the only one who needs a break from the IE lifestyle."

"You're right." Xora donned jeans and a sweater, though underneath, her skinsuit was certainly there. "It's a very nice place. I never really got the chance to enjoy such an urban environment back in the States." She and Levi trailed along the outer suburban ring around Paris. Shops lined the streets from cafes to clubs to vendors. Many stores sold clothing, sweets and pastries, and even more with strange knickknacks Xora had never seen before. They'd already encountered an antique shop, novelty stores, taxidermy—too many to count.

They passed dark alleyways with strange figures quietly talking amongst themselves; on several occasions, Xora was shot strange stares and smirks, earning a deathly glare from Levi. Eventually, he snatched her hand and insisted she walked on left side of him, closer to the street and other passing people. Before she could object, he wove their fingers together and held tight without any indication of letting go.

"Levi?" Xora chimed, glancing down at their clasped hands. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Think of it as safety protocol," he claimed, but when Xora glanced up at him, he didn't dare to meet her gaze.

"It seems we'll have to get used to enforcing these safety procedures, won't we?" she joked, catching Levi off-guard. He stopped abruptly and looked at Xora. She wore a blank face, but there was a devious gleam in her eyes when she turned away and pulled him further along.

Their day resumed normally, but the atmosphere was much more light-hearted than Xora had expected. Perhaps it was because of the companion that decided to join her.

With their hands still locked together, Xora visited many places with Levi that she'd never been to before; there was a small bakery tucked into a corner; it was warm and cozy-looking.

"Why don't we go there?" she offered to Levi, leading them both inside. A bell hanging from the door jingled when they entered, the bakery filled with only a few other people; they were immediately greeted by a kind-looking young woman.

"Bonjour!" she said cheerfully over the glass case of wonderful pastries. "Welcome to Rosie's Bakery! What can I get for you on a beautiful day like this?"

"We're just looking around," Xora replied with a warm smile; she was starting to get the hang of socializing, after seeing it done so well by others.

"Okay! Just a really quick reminder—we've got a couple's discount going on right now! It'll be going away soon, so make sure you take advantage of it before it's over."

"Couple?" Xora repeated, eyes widening. Her eyes flickered over to Levi's amuzed gaze then back to the clerk's. "W—we aren't..."

The lady laughed, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "My dear, there is no reason to be so shy." With a sly shake of her head, she disappeared from view through a door leading to what looked like a kitchen.

"If you had told her we were a couple, we could've saved some money," Levi simpered, his eyes glittering with mischief as he pulled Xora over to the glass display of treats.

"But that would be lying," Xora replied, eyes drifting to their still-interlocked hands. "I don't want to trick such a kind person."

"Sometimes, lying is necessary to get something you want." Levi peered into the glass and inspected slices of delicous-looking cakes, wrinkling his nose at the sweet sight.

"But a mere discount isn't something I necessarily want."

"Hearing you say that we were a couple was something I wanted, though." Xora recoiled at the sudden remark. She stared at Levi wide-eyed, but he was too busy admiring a plate of macarons.

"What did you just say?" she asked slowly.

"What?" he responded innocuously.

"Can you repeat what you just said?"

"I said, what?"

Xora shook her head, huffing. "No, I mean before that."

"Before what?" Levi asked, straightening. He stole another sly glance, and this time, a smirk played across his lips.

"Nevermind," Xora sighed. "I'm not sure I heard you correctly." Levi led her to a table where they each took their seats across from each other, finally letting go of each other's hands.

"What do you think you heard?" Levi asked.

She couldn't decipher Levi's indifferent expression at the least bit, but his eyes constantly gave him away. "It's nothing." She shook her head as he signaled a woman to come and take their order.

"Come on, you can tell me." When the server approached, Levi ordered a cafe latte and a green tea with a plate of assorted macarons.

"It's irrelevant," Xora told him when the server finished taking down their order and walked away.

"I can confirm your suspicions."

Xora's brows furrowed. "You want to hear a sentence that contains four words."

"And what are those few words?" He raised a brow. "Can you say them?"

"We are a couple," Xora whispered softly, unable to meet his piercing gaze. A small sigh followed after. When she dared to look into Levi's eyes, she was taken aback to see they seemed to hold a softer light—although his expression still remained like stone.

"It does sound nice," he murmured to himself.

"What does?"

"Those words, in your voice."

"...You know, if you continue to act like this, I don't think I'll be able to continue repressing this burning of my face." It was true—she could already feel her cheeks on fire.

"Well, you're doing a terrible job of it," Levi scoffed, turning his attention back to the server. She set the cup of coffee in front of Levi and the tea in front of Xora, placing the place of treats in the center of the table. Leaving them with a wave, she instructed them to signal her if they needed anything more.

Right as she turned her head, Levi reached over and switched their drinks, placing the steaming mug of green tea in front of himself. Xora raised an eyebrow without saying a word.

"I prefer tea," was Levi's nonchalant reply as he lifted the mug to his lips. "Besides, I hate the aftertaste of coffee. Although I wouldn't really mind kissing someone with it."

For a few moments, Xora toyed with the handle of the mug, comprehending his joke. And when she did, she let out another pent up sigh and covered her face with her hands. How was she going to deal with this?