Chapter 2

Chapter 2: A new family

"Why do you have a chid with you?" A voice hissed, walking towards the man who cradled a small blond haired boy in his arms.

"Never thought you'd be the type to have a soft spot, hm." Another chimed in approaching the man.

"Back off you two, I'm sure Pain has a reason." Another said approaching the to figures with a few other people close behind him.

The man who held Naruto gently put him on the ground. "I found him in the forest, left to die." Pain spoke looking at the people before him. "I think he will be of use to us." He added.

"Are you not aware?" A voice suddenly ask from behind Pain. The ginger haired man turned around and saw a white figure, half its body was black and his yellow eyes looked down at the small boy.

"Aware of what, hm?" A blond haired man asked.

"That boy is the host of the nine-tails." The figure answered.

Pain stood silently, staring at the unconscious little boy. If only the circumstances were different, this boy would've become a strong ninja with our help. But the fact that he is the nine-tails host... Pain thought. A life that must suffer even more and yet meet death so soon, unable to even live his life to the fullest.

"Poor boy..." A feminine voice spoke up.

"No matter, Konan." Pain spoke up. "He will still be of use to us, even if he is the nine-tails."

"How exactly?" A red haired man asked.

"Simple, we will train him. We will train him to be strong, strong enough to go toe-to-toe with the other tailed beasts. We will use him to fight against them and capture them." Pain explained. "And then... we will get rid of the nine-tails."

All the people looked down at the little boy, such an innocent young boy was mercilessly beaten. They all took pity on him, but they couldn't help but also feel bad about the fact that they were using him to only kill him in the end.

"That is a splendid idea." The figure spoke up, breaking the silence. "But I do hope... that your plan does not backfire." He added, sternly glancing at Pain and with that he disappeared into the darkness.

I do not intend to let it backfire, nor will I fail to achieve true peace. Pain thought. "Konan, please attend to his injuries." He ordered. The blue haired woman nodded in response and gently picked the little boy up.

***

Naruto slowly opened his eyes, he couldn't make out where he was, all he knew that it was dark. He slowly sat up, wincing in pain. Everything flooded back into his mind and he put his hands out in front of him. I'm... alive! I'm still alive! He thought curling his hands into fists.

"You are finally awake."

The blonde turned his head to meet a woman with short blue hair. "W-Who are you?" Naruto asked alerted and scared. Since all he ever encountered was pain, the blonde had grown to learn not trusting anyone. He was just afraid, afraid to get hurt by someone he trusts.

"Don't worry little one, I will not hurt you." Konan assured with a small smile. Naruto furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Konan, uncertain if he should trust the woman. "I am Konan of the Akatsuki."

"Akatsuki...?" Naruto asked tilting his head to the side, "I don't know what that is."

"We are a group, a group that has only one goal." Konan explained, "a goal to achieve peace."

Naruto frowned at the word. Does that even exist? He asked himself. Konan chuckled and ruffled Naruto's hair. "Even though this world is in chaos, we are willing to do anything to achieve peace. We know it exists. We just have to work hard." She said.

"R-Really?" Naruto asked and Konan nodded.

"Now, will you tell me your name, little one?" Konan asked.

"I'm..." Naruto paused, he looked down at the sheets of the bed. Konan looked at Naruto, seeing his pained expression. "I'm Naruto. Just Naruto." The blonde finally said.

"Do you not have a family?" Konan asked.

The blondes expression went dull, his blue eyes holding no emotion. "No... they don't even consider me family..."

Konan frowned and patted the boy, "then... would like to be in our family?" She asked.

"Our...?" Naruto asked.

"Yes, there are others, besides me in the Akatsuki. You can be apart of our family." Konan smiled and stood up, she took out her hand. "The decision is completely up to you, Naruto."

Naruto sat in silence and smiled. He took Konan's hand and the two walked out of the room. Konan led him to a separate room, when they arrived Naruto saw many other people. Naruto hid behind Konan, peering a little.

"No need to be shy, Naruto." She smiled.

Everyone in the room smiled at Naruto, "we are your new family now." Konan said.

"Yo, I'm Kisame."

"You better back away from him, he might eat you. I'm Deidara." Deidara smiled at Naruto.

"What was that, art freak?" Kisame asked glaring at the blonde.

"You heard me, shark breath." Deidara retorted.

"Don't mind them Naruto, I am Sasori." A red head smiled warmly at the blonde. "That one over their is Kakuzu, don't be freaked by his appearance."

"Hey kiddo, I'm Hidan, nice meetin' ya'." Hidan grinned.

Naruto stopped hiding behind Konan, he looked up at Konan who nodded. "I-I'm Naruto." The blonde stuttered.

"Nice to meet you, Naruto." Everyone said in unison.

"Oh, there's one more person. But he's not here right now. He's the one who carried you here and Konan there was the one who tended to your injuries." Sasori explained.

"Did you really...?" Naruto asked turning to Konan who smiled and nodded.

"Of course, we couldn't let a little boy die." She smiled.

"Thank you, big sis Konan." Naruto grinned.

Everyone looked at the little boy with smiles plastered on their faces. They all wondered how a sweet little boy who had suffered so much, despite only being four years old, could still smile through all the pain.