Chapter 11

Louis' P.O.V

I received the call not long after an interview.

As soon as my mum told me I was packing and ready to get on the next plane home.

Charlie was in hospital. Her body wasn't as strong as they had thought and it was fighting a tough battle with the Leukemia. She had been close to death, I almost lost her but she made it through. She had to have a stem cell transplant and had been asleep for hours. The way things were looking she was going to have to undergo chemotherapy.

She would be in the hospital for a few days. Mum was at the hospital comforting Charlie's mum and they had booked me a flight as soon as they found out.

..............

I tried to stay strong the whole trip home but as soon as I arrived at the hospital I broke down.

I almost lost Charlie. I couldn't even bare the thought of not having her. And her body was so weak. Of all the things in the world, I could never have imagined this happening. She didn't deserve any of this. She deserved to be healthy. To live a normal, happy and healthy life.

I sat next to my mum, who was crying but trying to comfort Charlie's mum and I at the same time.

When the doctor finally said we could see Charlie, even though she was still asleep, I eagerly jumped up and followed close behind as he led us down the hallway.

When I walked into her room and saw her pale and weak body lying on the bed I started crying harder. She had some drips in her arm and a tube in her nose. I sat on the chair next to her bed holding her hand tightly, my head resting on the side of her bed, soaking her blanket with my salty tears. We stayed in there for ages waiting for her to wake up. After a while my mum and Charlie's mum left to go to the cafe and get some coffee, leaving me with Charlie.

"I'm so sorry Charlie" I whispered, bringing her hand to my lips and kissing the top of her palm.

"Please wake up. I love you Charlie. You are my best friend. I couldn't live without you" I stared at her peaceful face.

"I am so sorry I haven't been there for you lately. Please forgive me. I promise I will be here forever from now on. Just wake up, please" I begged her before breaking into more loud sobs, my chest heaving in and out as I continued to soak her blanket with my tears.

................

Louis' mum (Jo) P.O.V

Karen (A/N. Charlie's mum) and I sat at the table sipping our coffees looking around the cafe. Everyone was here for the same reason, going through the same thing; a loved one was in hospital.

"You know, I'm so glad our kids became friends. We have always been such good friends but I always worried they wouldn't be as close as we are." I told Karen.

"Me too. If anything they are closer. Remember when they were born and we were planning their wedding?" she laughed.

She was then hit by the reminder of how sick Charlie is and her eyes teared up again.

I reached across to her and grabbed her hand.

"She will be ok. She has a strong heart. I promise she will be alright" I tried to comfort her.

"She even thinks she's going to die" Karen cried. "She is so upset and I can't even help her. There is nothing I can do. It hurts to know she has to go through this."

"You are doing a great job and the best you can. It's all out of your control. She knows you love her." I hugged her as she cried, rubbing her back and trying to soothe her.

"Poor Louis" she spoke up, her voice full of sorrow. "He loves her so much."

"He's in love with her" I told her, leaning out of the hug. "I can see it in his eyes. He just doesn't realise it."

Karen nodded in agreement, a smile on her face.

Neither of us spoke for a minute.

"Young love" she sighed.