Chapter 13

Over the next few days I was in robot mode. I ate when the nurse and my mum made me. I went for the occasional walk when I was allowed. Mostly though, I slept or stared at the blank wall or tv, which I never turned on. I let the nurse give me needles whenever and I didn't even flinch. All I did was think about Louis.

One day when the nurse was giving me my daily medicine something she said grabbed my attention.

"That friend of yours is a very good looking fellow."

I looked up at her. How did she know about Louis?

"What?" I asked.

"That young lad who comes and visits you everyday, usually when you are asleep." She smiled.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes. Every single day. And he is always so upset. He cares a lot for you, you know."

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Don't let him go, he's a keeper." She winked before leaving my room.

I sat there thinking. My body had basically gone numb from emotion. I didn't know if I was happy or sad or angry or how I felt.

When mum came in later I decided to ask her about Louis.

"Mum, how's Louis?"

"He's ok. He's been pretty upset though."

"Oh" I looked down at my lap, feeling guilty.

"Charlie, I know you two had a fight or something, hence why he will only come see you when you are asleep. But he really cares about you. I know you're worried about him ruining his career but you can't push him away like this. He cares too much to leave you. Just talk to him." She rubbed my hand.

"Yeah" I muttered.

..................

The next few days were the same as the days before. I didn't even care about my condition anymore, I just wanted my best friend back and I felt so bad for what I had done.

One night I woke up and felt a warm hand holding mine. I opened my eyes to see Louis sitting on a chair next to my bed, tears pouring down his face. His hand was gripping mine and I could tell he was trying not to sob loudly incase he woke me up.

"Louis?" I whispered.

When he realised I was awake he suddenly let go of my hand and started to get up.

"S-so sorry Charlie. I'll leave now. Sorry." He started to walk away.

"No!" I said. "Stop."

He turned around, looking surprised.

"Louis I'm so sorry." I started to cry. "I should never have told you to leave. You don't deserve it. You are the most caring person I know and I am so sorry."

He walked back over and sat down on the seat again.

"It's ok Charlie." He still had tears on his cheeks and I felt so bad.

I sat up and have him a hug. I then started crying harder, sobbing into his shoulder.

"Don't worry Charlie. It's ok. I promise everything will be ok."

"I hope so." I whispered.

I shuffled over in my bed leaving room for him to lie next to me.

He lay down and we talked for a while about nothing in particular, just like we usually did, before we both fell asleep. For the first time in weeks I had actually laughed. That's what I loved about Louis. He could always cheer me up no matter what.