Chapter 10

Charlie's P.O.V

The bright morning sun was streaming through the living room window, making it harder to see the tv. I was about to get up and close the curtains when my phone rung.

Incoming call: Louis

"Hey Lou" I answered.

"Hey Charlie" he replied croakily.

"Are you ok?" I asked "You sound sick."

"Uhmm..... Yes I am just getting a cold."

"Aw that sucks. Get better soon!" I told him.

"Thanks Charlie. So how are you?"

"Yeah I'm good." I replied. 'If only you knew' I added in my head.

"That's good. You been feeling alright lately?"

"Um yes. Why are you asking me this Lou?" I asked suspiciously.

"Oh, I was just checking you hadn't picked up a cold too?"

"No, I'm all good. It's a bummer you're sick though" I told him.

"Yeah.. I guess" he replied weakly.

"What's up with you this morning Lou?" I asked him.

"Nothing" he answered too quickly. "I've got to go sorry. Just checking you were ok. Bye Charlie. Miss you."

Before I could even reply he had hung up.

"Ok that was weird" I said to myself.

What's up with him? Maybe he's just tired or having a bad day' I thought.

............

Louis P.O.V

I almost started crying. She kept saying she was good when she wasn't. I wish I could be there to tell her everything would be ok. To be her shoulder to cry on and to be her rock. Instead, me, her best friend, didn't even know. Well I wasn't supposed to anyway. I wanted so badly to tell her I knew. To say to her not to lie, that she didn't feel fine but that she was strong and would get through this. Instead here I was, getting famous, whilst she was struggling and sick with cancer back home without me by her side.

......Flashback......

(6 years ago)

"Agh!" Charlie squealed as she tripped and fell over, squashing my sand castle.

I pretended to be angry and glared at her.

She looked so upset. "S-sorry Lou" she whispered looking down at her lap.

I couldn't keep a straight face any longer and burst out laughing chucking some sand at her.

"Oi!" she yelled laughing as she threw a handful of sand back at me. "You tricked me!"

We continued our sand fight laughing the whole time.

Eventually we ran into the water, me chasing her with my two hands full of sand, threatening to throw it at her.

I ended up chucking it into the water and we both stood there, trying to stay standing as waves rushed past us.

Suddenly a wave caught Charlie and tried to pull her down but I quickly grabbed her hand, stopping her from being dunked.

"Thanks Lou" she said, smiling at me once she had regained her balance.

"That's ok." I grinned back.

We started splashing each other with water until we both were exhausted and lay down on the sand next to one another.

"Hey Lou?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah.." I replied.

"Promise we will always be there for each other, no matter what." She said, holding out her pinkie.

"I promise" I replied back. "Forever and ever." We shook pinkies before running off to go ask our mum's if we could get ice cream.

......End of flashback.....

I guess I broke that promise.

My voice had started to shake on the phone and I knew I was going to start crying. I had to go before my body gave way. Even though she didn't know that I knew, I still had to be strong for her. I couldn't cry.

.............

Charlie's P.O.V

.............

A few weeks passed and Louis' group had finished on X Factor. They came 3rd in the competition and had done so well. The band were a huge hit and they had millions of fans all over the world. They were staying together as a group and at the moment they were in London. I was so proud of Louis.

Even though I was so happy for Lou, I was starting to get depressed. I was always in pain and I coughed up blood quite often.

The other day I accidentally made mum cry.

"Charlie, come on, let's do something today. It's unhealthy to sit and do nothing all the time" she told me.

Without thinking I snapped back at her "Who cares if it's unhealthy! I'm going to die soon anyway!"

I could tell she was trying to hold back the tears but they came out anyway. She looked at me with the saddest eyes. "I'm sorry sweetheart."

"Sorry mum" I said back before going to my room, curling myself up on my bed and crying. I had been crying so often lately. At least everyday. I just couldn't hold it in. I have always bottled up my pain until finally the bottle overflowed but lately my bottle had been overflowing a lot.

.................

It was a Sunday night I was lying on my bed reading when suddenly I started coughing. It started off as a usual coughing up blood but I just kept coughing and coughing. I was having trouble breathing, I had a huge pain in my chest and eventually my body gave up.

The last thing I saw was mum grabbing the phone before everything went black.