Chapter 20

Crete 9 p.m.
Y/n POV -

"It's hot here, isn't it?" Josh says. Josh is Shawn's gorilla sized bodyguard and we're sitting at the bar terrace of the hotel. Overlooking the beach. It's summer, we're in Greece, but I'm sweating profusely because I'm so unbelievably anxious. I'm not gonna admit that to Josh, though. I know Shawn instructed him to keep me safe. To bring me to him, if something happens. So I sip on my sparkling iced water and just nod. I'm tracing my finger over the tattoo on my wrist. I like to think it gives me strength, but in reality it makes me miss Ethan. It makes me vulnerable and an emotional wreck.

I wonder what Ethan is doing now. If he's okay, if he left London already. If he hates me for saying those awful things to him and if I ever cross his mind, like he crosses mine. I smile when I think about Ethan singing. I don't think I've ever heard someone sing so incredibly off key. But at the same time I don't think I've ever appreciated someone singing to me so much. These memories finally seem to calm me down a little when I recognize the silhouette of a man approaching us. I'm immediately drowning in panic again. "Is that him?" Josh says and I nod again. I don't think I've ever felt like this. My body reacts in a way it never has before. Is this what they call fight or flight response?

My heart starts racing. I get up to say hello to Mike, trying to act natural, but I feel my body shaking. My knees are weak and I'm unable to take a step towards him. The tall and muscular silhouette walks up to me. The terrace lights hit his face and we lock eyes. I'm trying my hardest to find something recognizable in his eyes. But there is nothing. This is not the man I once loved and that only fuels my anxiety attack. "Hi y/n.." he says as he puts his arms around me and hugs me. I'm frozen and I focus on my breathing to avoid passing out. Josh gets up and for a brief moment I hope-, but at the same time am afraid, that Josh is gonna fight Mike. He doesn't. Like we discussed earlier, Josh is gonna be around to avoid Mike from getting abusive. But other than that, we agreed on acting "normal". As far as that's possible.

Josh introduces himself as my colleague and explains to Mike that we have to be here for whenever Shawn needs us. Immediately providing me with a legitimate reason not to leave Josh's side for too long. Mike shakes Josh's hand and I try to figure out, by staring at Mike's face, if he is catching on to the real reason Josh is here. I'm caught off guard when Mike quickly turns his head towards me and again my heart stops for a second. "Can we talk?" Mike asks me, while reaching out his arm in front of my body, trying to lead me to the outer part of the terrace. Away from Josh, but within eyesight. My eyes glance at Josh and I see him nod in approval. Without saying a word I lower my head and walk over to the side of the terrace, with Mike following me in my tracks.
I sit down at one of the tables overlooking the sea. The waves loudly crash onto the shore and where as that sound usually calms me down immensely, it seems to trigger my anxiety now. Mike sits down next to me and grabs my hand. My reflexes make me pull away from his touch, from the man that hurt me emotionally, mentally and physically. But he won't let me and tightens his grip. I'm very much aware of the fact that Josh is too far away to see him hurting my hand, the hand he is holding in front of his body, out of sight for everyone else on that terrace. "Y/n." He breathes through his clenched teeth. And his energy makes me hunch over. It makes me want to curl up in a little ball and protect myself.

"I better not find out you asked Ethan to come to London!" He continues barking at me, his volume toned down, so no one hears him. "I didn't.." I breathe. But the sound of the waves drowns out my soft and breathy voice. "What was that?" Mike asks and I look up at his face. "I didn't.." I repeat now a bit louder. I don't think I've ever experienced fear like this. I know it's irrational to think Mike will kill me, here, in front of all these people enjoying their holiday. But him beating me to death, because he thinks I didn't comply to his requests and wishes, is something I'm genuinely afraid of right now. That fear makes me zone out constantly. I have to focus on Mike, on his voice, I keep telling myself. I can't let him know I'm on the verge of something that feels like passing out.
I have to act natural. And I blink my eyes to refocus. Over Mike's shoulder I spot Josh in the distance. He's still there and I feel relief. I blink again and I see men talking to Josh. One of the guys looks like Kian. "Y/n!" Mike barks at me again, snapping his fingers in front of my eyes. And we lock eyes, his nostrils are flared and the popped blood vessels in his eyes add to the anger in his gaze. His grip around my hand tightens even more, causing me to flinch out of pain.