Chapter - 05

WEIRD FEELING

The sun was shining high in the sky as Raya brought the basket full of spices and other new things he bought inside the house, one that was... eerie quiet. He frowned and slowly placed the basket down onto the table.

"Lixian?" He called out and shuffled towards the only other room there was when he didn't hear anything.

He stopped in his tracks and breathed a chuckle when he saw the demon knocked out on his bed, his face burried into his pillow. He smiled and combed a hand through his hair before leaving, letting the demon sleep. He probably needed it.

He took everything out of the basket and started to work on his garden. It had been a long time since he last took care of it, but because spring was coming, he kind of had to start again.

Lixian grumbled softly when the sun shone in his eyes, waking him up from his peaceful nap. He turned his face the other way and inhaled the amazing scent of the pillow, making his body relax again. His ears, however, picked up a strange sound he didn't recognise, something that made his eyes shoot open instantly.

He sat up and frowned when he heard it again. With a suddenly fast beating heart he quietly stood up from the comfortable bed and walked out of the room. He softly tiptoed around as his eyes flickered to red, his demon side coming out for protection. Lixian didn't saw anyone in the house so he slowly walked towards the backdoor where the sound became louder. The old, wooden entrance creaking open as he peeked through the slit outside.

Raya looked up at the sound and held his breath in slight shock when he saw two red orbs stare back down at him. The demon frowned and within a second, his eyes were back to their normal color.

"A-are you ok?" The human stuttered. Not used to seeing such colourful, bright eyes.

Lixian looked back up at Raya and nodded, his heart slowly calming down again. There was no danger. He was safe.

Raya smiled and wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand, the bright sun warm on his tanned skin. Lixian's eyes scanned him up and down, now just noticing how dirty he actually was. "I heat up some water when I came back, it should be warm by now. You wanna shower after I'm done?"

The demon silently nodded again. Though the human didn't need more than that, he just smiled in return and cleaned up his gardening tools. He grabbed a towel from inside and went back outside to open the gate to the outdoor shower. He closed it behind him and stripped his body from his dirty clothes, hanging them over the edge of the wooden fence.

It was not much, but his shower was good enough for him. Not many people had a shower, always just using baths, but it was a quicker way of cleaning yourself Raya always thought. It didn't have a roof or anything, it was just a barrel full of rainwater and a wooden fence for some privacy. Even though nobody ever came here. It was nice, being one with nature. Feeling the fresh air around you and hearing the birds above you...

Raya closed the barrel after a few minutes of scrubbing and using his new soup, and dried himself off with the towel. Steam rose up from his damp skin as he wrapped it tightly around his hips. He grabbed his dirty clothes and quickly went back inside, not wanting to catch a cold with being out for too long. There he saw the demon on the floor by the fireplace, a book in his hands as he tried to read the words out loud. "You can shower now, if you want."

Lixian closed the book at hearing that, leaving it there as he stood up and followed the human outside.

"Just open the thing up like this and you have wa— Ah! —It's a bit slippery here, so look out." Raya laughed as he had grabbed the demon's arm before he'd fallen down. Lixian flinched at the touch, something Raya noticed, which made him retrace his hand quickly. "I'm sorry."