Vuggevise og Godnatt

Start from the beginning

Elsa stood up, "I'm gonna go try talking to Sophie." She hoped it would persuade Jack to go with her, but he didn't even glance her way.

It didn't matter, Sophie wouldn't be speaking to anyone that day—her door opened not once until night came and Jack couldn't bear leaving her without a 'good night.' No one in the castle, neither his parents nor Elsa, had luck... but brothers were different. Even though he was a 'grown-up' like the rest of them, things never changed between siblings, they were connected for life. He still wished he'd had more time with her as children every day.

Jack knocked on her door and called her name to let her know it was him. "I just wanted to say good night." He paused. "You don't have to let me in–" The door unlocked and she pulled it back just a crack. Her heartbroken eyes were all he saw in the darkness. "You're probably not in the mood for talking, so–"

"No, come in." She opened it wider and let him walk inside. She didn't even have one of her lanterns on—she was just lying alone in sadness. Jack didn't know what to do until she sat on her bed and pat on the spot beside her. Sophie then leaned her head into Jack's shoulder; she just wanted to hide in his arms. He brushed his fingers through her long, dark hair. He couldn't imagine himself with brown hair anymore, nor brown eyes. It had been so long since he'd changed his appearance that his silvery-white hair and blue eyes felt natural to him.

"Jack, you're never going to leave again, right?" She whispered. Jack withdrew his hands. All he could manage was a shocked expression. "I kept feeling like something bad was happening and now it is. If something happens to Dad, you won't go away either, will you?"

"No!" He whispered back. He cradled her in his arms. "I don't want to leave you, never again." Sophie could feel his pounding heart, she'd given him a fright just from a simple question. "No matter what happens, I'm always going to take care of you."

"Do you remember the lullaby Mom used to sing for us?" Sophie murmured.

Did he? No...

"No, it's been too long."

"Don't worry, I do, just not the words." She closed her eyes and while Jack was gently rocking her like she was small again, she began to hum the lullaby... The wordless tune began to fill Jack with memories, so many memories of childhood that kept getting further and further from him. Memories of looking up into his mother's loving eyes while she put him to sleep after a day of pleading to go outside and be like other children. She would remind him he was loved with this song. And always, when the song was over, his father would come to his room after finally returning from work to tell him sweet dreams.

Sophie hummed the lullaby both for her brother and for herself. It put their pain to rest for now.

...

Jack stayed with Sophie until she fell asleep, finally.

The castle was silent when he went back down the hall; everyone was asleep except for the palace guards. As he crept into his chamber to change into something to sleep in, something rattled and alarmed him briefly. It was the satchel he'd tucked away under his bed, the fairies were chattering inside. How could he even think of the guardians' tasks right now? They wouldn't be getting any response from him, he wanted to sleep.

If he could tune out the sounds of wolves hunting, birds chittering, and cold winds howling past his ears as he slept alone in the wilderness, then these were but annoying little rings in his ear. But as he thought more of trying to ignore the bird hybrids, he remembered what was out there looking for him. It looked like Amelia Pitchiner wouldn't have any work to do—his father was dying now, which he supposed would make them even.

Not another thought of her, nor the guardians, crossed his mind and he climbed underneath his sheets.

...

Elsa had just started dreaming when the sound of wind woke her. It sounded as though the forest had come to her room. As she sat up, a bright light that made her squint her eyes shone in front of her face. When her vision adjusted, she saw who it was: Sandy.

"What are you doing here?" He didn't speak, he couldn't, but he gave her a cross expression and held up two fingers. She knew what it meant. "No, we didn't. Jack's father is sick! Besides, we have time–" Sandman wagged his finger to shush her. Time was important here, and despite her words, there was not enough for them. What could a mortal ever know about time? "Please," she tried a kinder voice, "at least give us until morning... Jack's hurting. He's not fit to do another task right now." The Sandman's eyes changed and he looked more sad than displeased. "You have my word, first thing in the morning, we'll be on it."

The Sandman thought about it, then he nodded. She noticed the look of uncertainty lingering. Was he worried about them?

"Sandman," she said, "if I may ask... give Jack a peaceful sleep tonight."

The Sandman could do that for her. He nodded his head then blew his magic dust into her eyes. He let his sand gently lie her back down and he stole to Jack's room to do the same.