Chapter Twelve: A Distracted Heart

During the time that Michi embraced Chiyo, the two remained as they were for what felt like both a short and long time. Chiyo had been content enough to simply rest and take comfort in Michi's lap, while the girl providing the comfort was acting in a way that was surprising even herself. Her actions betrayed her words of hatred and spite. She loathed girls like Chiyo. She wished they'd all disappear. And yet, maybe that was the difference. This wasn't a girl like Chiyo. It was Chiyo herself.

Thinking even more on it, Michi wondered if she'd let anyone do what Chiyo was doing now. She believed she was close with Kanako, but if Kanako was in pain, would Michi lend her her warmth? "Why is it you...?" she thought as she stared down at the gal in her arms. She had yet to let go. Chiyo's cries had stopped, but neither girl had moved an inch. And, unexpected even more, was the fact that in that moment, there wasn't a single part of Michi that wished for it to end.

Was it out of pity for Chiyo or was it because the kindness that she usually received from her own friends had been lacking as of late? Or maybe, perhaps... she didn't quite hate Chiyo has much as she thought she did. "..."Michi's mind went silent at the potential revelation, not knowing how to process such a possibility. But then, instead of processing it, Michi did her best to push it to the side anyways. "I don't care about her," she thought, though those words rang hollow as she continued to hold Chiyo.

Finally, after both girls had had their fill of emotion, they removed themselves from the hallway and made their way downstairs to the front entrance. Neither of them had their bags, but with the way they had each rushed out of the library, followed by what had just occurred, they were both too embarrassed to go back for them.

Standing in front of the glassy entryway, Michi and Chiyo both stood quiet, both of them staring out through the windows in front of them. "...Thanks Mi-chan. For listening to my story," Chiyo said, breaking the silence between them. However, Michi said nothing back. Chiyo smiled at her, then went to leave. "I'll see you later Mi-chan. I promise I'll be back to normal tomorrow." And then, just as she was about to go-

"Wait."

Her voice was small. Why she spoke, she wasn't sure, but Michi was certain her mind had come back to its recent state of concern. One more thing still nagged in her brain and it was something that had yet to be truly addressed. Why Michi wanted to talk about it, why she thought she must say something, were both questions that hung in her mental queue along with the growing list of others that would someday need to be answered.

"Chiyo," she said quietly, but there was an increasing amount of conviction behind her impending words. "You should... stop... doing stuff like that..." Michi said awkwardly. "Doing stuff like what?" Chiyo asked with a tilt of her head. "You know... come on, do I really have to say it?" Michi muttered. "Say what?" Chiyo said, catching on that Michi was trying to bring something to light and now teasing her for it. Michi shook with annoyance, realizing she was being toyed with. And then, "THE SEX! STOP SLEEPING AROUND ALL THE TIME!"

Those words rocketed out of Michi's mouth, and she quickly slapped a hand over her lips as she became embarrassed at shouting about someone's sex life out in the open. Her reaction had been even more than Chiyo had expected, causing the gal to go wide-eyed a bit before returning to her smiling state. "...If it's for you, Mi-chan, I'll stop," she said. In response, Michi's face demonstrated her complexity of feelings swirling inside her at hearing such a thing. "I-I never said it was for me!" she finally huffed back.

"Mi-chan," Chiyo began again, her tone serious. Michi looked directly at her and was greeted by an expression that seemed to say nothing except "Save me." "If it's for you," Chiyo repeated. "I'll stop." Her gaze held Michi's. It was impossible to look away. "Why me...?" Michi wondered. "Why do I have to tell you to stop?" She wanted to ask those questions, but she wasn't sure if she'd get answers. Besides, even without asking, Michi's instincts told her that even if she couldn't put it into words, she already knew what the answer was.