A New Beginning

Elise always loved the wallpaper. The palest blue decorated by fading yellow flowers staring back at her. The ceiling was an array of swirls and geometry, in the center, a glimmering chandelier pulling downwards. The windows were in a semicircle, cluttered in only half of the room with dark blue drapes that her mother always liked. There were fainting couches aligning the wall with chairs to fill the space, it was her mother's favorite room. The ballroom. She always told Elise, "One day, we'll throw a ball for you and you can dance until your feet thwart of pain and your cheeks glow of smiling all night long. Those are the best nights."

But clearly Elise wouldn't get her ball any time soon. She pressed her hand against the wall and dragged it to one of the drapes, where she skimmed the fabric with her thumb. They were velvety and glorious with long trains from the golden bar on the top of the window sill.

The door clicked open, "Elise!" She turned to meet her brother's head that stuck in around the white and gold French doors. "Dad's been looking for you. It's almost time to go."

She nodded and sent a sad smile, "Thanks Michael." He watched as his older sister gave one last look into the room and followed him out to the main hall. The floors were marble and the columns stood up to the pressure of the high ceiling. She never wanted to leave.

She took one last look at the room before sighing and closing the door, satisfied with the ending click. The house was empty, no furniture except for the decorations that she had previously seen. She had one more stop before leaving. She walked up the grand staircase and opened the single doored room. The right wall was covered with a cloudy mirror that previously reflected the shelves upon shelves of bookcases with Bach and Mendelssohn. In the carpet, there were three worn out marks which used to hold a stand, another four for the stool Elise used. The wall across from the door had a small window, enough for the room to be lit up and for Elise to reminisce one last time. Her violin was awaiting in her carriage and the only thing in the room was a small box, the last box of music. She picked it up, struggling slightly at the weight but looked around once again, saying goodbye.

She walked outside to the gravel circle where carriages could be parked for awaited guests. The large black gate was opened and she saw some furniture leave in another carriages to be seen in her new home a few weeks later.

"Elise! Let me take that, it must be heavy."

Charlie was a very handsome man with milk chocolate hair and hazel eyes. Elise always thought that his smile was his best feature, it was so real and inviting that nobody could help but love at first sight. Elise always said that Michael got his smile, she got his hair and light freckles. She softly smiled as she handed the box to him, "Thanks dad."

He put the box in the last packing carriage before setting it off to the docks to be taken away. He pulled both of his kids close to him, a hand on each of their shoulders. They all looked at the extravagant house before them that had served its purpose for so long but now it was time to leave. "Well, I think its time to say goodbye. Mum loved this house but I think it's our time to move on," Charlie kissed his daughters head and turned around to their personal carriage. "It's time for a new chapter," Michael said as he held his bouncy ball. Charlie nodded, "You're right, Michael, it is."

And with that, Elise took one final mental picture before climbing into the carriage with her father and brother. They sat in a triangle position with Elise's violin case between her knees and some books next to Charlie.

They were headed towards a new life.

~~~

Without a doubt, Elise missed England. She missed her house and her friends which were few and far between but she couldn't help but feel an excitement about where she was going.