Katherine

Gwaine loved nobody but himself, everyone knew that, but few knew that about a year ago, a little more than that, he was absolutely in love. Her name was Elizabeth.

They both loved each other, but he loved the tavern more, so he broke up with her when she started getting mad at him every time he went there.

He never talked about her, the only one of his friends who knew about that beautiful woman, was, of course, Merlin.

~•~•~•~•~•~

-Sorry, could you please help me? - a woman carrying a six month old baby asked the first knight she saw, who happened to be Lancelot.

-Sure. What's wrong?

-I just want to find my baby's father, and I heard that he is a knight now. Maybe you know him...

-Yeah, probably, and if I don't, I'm sure Arthur would be glad to help. What's his name?

-Gwaine. - he was surprised. He had never talked about a woman, let alone a daughter. But then again, he hadn't asked either.

-He's in the market, probably buying some apples. He won't be hard to find, he's in his uniform.

-Thank you, uh...

-Lancelot. My name is Lancelot.

-Well, thank you, Sir Lancelot. You are very kind.

The little girl laughed looking at Lancelot, which made him smile, although he didn't fail to notice the flash of gold in her eyes, or the beautiful blue butterflies that flew around her after that. The woman panicked and ran with her daughter to the market.

~•~•~•~•~•~

-Gwaine!

-Elizabeth? What are you doing here? I thought you lived in a village near Ealdor.

-I do. But it's too dangerous for our daughter to live there.

-Our daughter? But... We've been apart for more than a year now

-Yeah. I was a already pregnant when you broke up with me. A month. That's why I wanted you to stay out of the tavern. Anyway, meet our daughter, Katherine. She's gonna live with you from now on.

-What? No! I'm a knight, I don't have time for children.

-I don't care if you don't sleep or if they kick you out of the castle, you will take care of your daughter. And don't you dare abandon her just to go to the tavern.

-But I know nothing about babies.

-Yeah, neither did I when she was born. You will learn.

-I don't want to learn. I hate children!

-Well, you don't have a choice!

Elizabeth smiled and put the baby, who was sleeping, in her father's arms. He almost dropped her, though. He really knew nothing about taking care of babies. Katherine opened her pretty eyes and when he saw them, he knew that he would do anything and everything to protect her. He could see the innocence and love in her big, beautiful eyes.

-Are you sure she's safer with me? In a castle that is always under some attack?

-Yes. Everyone in my village want her dead.