✧ skullantacysmith

We interviewed SkullantacySmith, the winner of Romance Category with their book 'A Little Harmony'

• • •

Hi, please tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to know about Wattpad

Hiya, I’m Skullantacy Smith, otherwise known as Deliah to my friends. I’m a full-time fangirl who studies music at university, and in any spare time I have I write stories here on Wattpad. I found out about this site through a school friend as we both shared a love of fanfictions back then, so here I am!

What inspired you to start writing?──────

A great many things. I’ve been writing stories since I was a child and was encouraged to do so by my teachers throughout primary and secondary school. When I left school, I was in this grey space of reading fanfictions on Wattpad and writing them outside of Wattpad. After a while of reading some really bad fanfictions of fandoms I was a part of, I finally decided to give it a go and I haven’t turned back from writing on here since.

What time of the day do you usually write, and why that time?──────

I normally write in the dead of the evening because it is one of the most tranquil times. I feel as though the darkness just wraps a blanket around the world and makes it cosier to write. Though, I try to write in the afternoon, too, before I have a nap.

Do you have a favourite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?──────

It’s hard to choose just one because I tend to throw a little bit of myself into each of my characters. Some symbolise the bad times that I went through, and they became a conduit to express my emotions. Others I like to think show the growth from those dark times into something brighter and filled with hope. I also really enjoy writing all of the characters I have come up with thus far, too, because they’re all like my little children that my brain spurted out. So, for me, it is very hard to choose just one favourite character.

Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing?────── 

My parents and my boyfriend. My parents have always supported me in everything I do, from writing to music and anything artistic in between because that’s the way I have always been inclined. I am glad that I was blessed with parents who allow me to be myself and to do the things I like doing compared to those of some of my friends. My boyfriend is always encouraging me to write and to create which has really helped create this positive environment. I cannot forget my readers, either, because damn do they know how to throw their support out which is great!

What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?──────

Either Emily Bronte or Steven King. I love Emily Bronte’s poems, even more so Wuthering Heights which is an all time favourite of mine, so I think it would be interesting to see into the mind of one of my favourite authors. Steven King is, well, the king of horror and I love his works, too. Because of that, I think it would be interesting to find out some useful tips from him.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal, and why?──────

A wolf is the first thing that comes to mind since it is my Patronus according to Pottermore. I also love how wolves are free spirits, running around without a care in the world.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?──────

Even though emotions are a large part of writing, I don’t feel that it is the only aspect within writing. There are various other points to focus on such as descriptions, vocabulary and literary devices to name a few. In my experience, writing isn’t just a talent but also a skill because you learn to do these things over time. Emotions are a large part when it comes to characters, but it isn’t all that there is, and I believe that emotions can be learned in some ways. It’s all about practice, really. So, yes, I do think that someone can be a writer if they don’t feel emotions as strongly as others.

Name an underappreciated book that you love─────

I don’t normally read stories on Wattpad but mostly off it that I can find at bookstores, but those I read are often already popular. Though, the stories I do read on Wattpad I’m selective about and are more often those of my friends, even though I have a large list of TBR on my profile and offline, too. One that stands out is one I began somewhat recently by @renegxde called Notorious Five. I haven’t read it all yet because my time is sometimes limited to do other things or my brain jumps from doing one thing to another, but so far I have been really enjoying it.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?─────

I am currently working on a bunch of different projects. So far I am participating in the Halloween Vault 3D and I have a compilation where I place all of my stories for them called, Spookerella. I am planning a romance short story to upload in November called, A Day In Ireland which I am looking forward to writing. I have a tonne of other projects set for the remainder of the year and next year, too, but that is for me to know and for my readers and followers to find out.

Finally, how do you celebrate when you finish your book?─────

I have a glass of gin and lemonade or Peach Bellini, then I’ll either read a book or play on a game on my computer or one of my games consoles to wind down. Sometimes, I may even have a nap before doing any of these.

• • •

Thank you very much for your time!