✧ slimmwrites

We interviewed yo_fave_slimmy, the winner of LGBTQ+ with their book 'Straight As They Come, Kinda'

• • •

Hi, please tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to know about Wattpad──────

Hi, my name is Tracy but people call me Slimm, either is fine. I'm an eighteen year old born and raised in Ghana, West Africa, where I currently live. I discovered Wattpad somewhere in 2016 but I didn't officially join until I found out of my friends has a book on here. She encouraged me to make my first account and even did my bio on that one XD

What inspired you to start writing?──────

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved to read. My favourite part of school were English lessons where we had to read passages or write essays. I realized I had a way with the craft of writing when my essays got very good scores and all who read it liked it. I decided why not make something myself? Why not create my own little world and breathe life into it? Those are the questions that got me on this journey of writing. It's really nice to know that from the tip of your pen or fingers, you can bring out an unheard story. After all, if you don't see the book you want to read on the shelves, write it.

What time of the day do you usually write, and why that time?──────

My writing schedule is as messed up as my sleeping one. Normally I try to get something written any time of the day because privacy is virtually non-existent in my home and none of my family members know I write (hehe) I usually write more from 1pm to about 5pm and on the days where inspiration hits, I can wake up as early as 2am and starting putting something down.

Do you have a favourite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?──────

Do I really have to pick favourites?(insert emojis Wattpad doesn't allow) I'd say Evie, from my book "Lies and Other Necessities". She's a complex character who struggles with a lot of hidden pain because she doesn't like to burden others with her problems(a trait I unfortunately have) Even though she came up because of a prompt for a contest, she holds a special place in my heart because of how much she tries to get herself back up. She's a strong woman, something I hope to be.

Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing?──────

The BIGGEST would be Olly Wesley, a fellow Wattpad writer. I met her in a group chat and we hit it off. She's been so helpful these past months and we're even planning on writing a book together!

What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?

Beth Harbison. I've binged most of her books and her writing style is absolutely amazing-- laid back yet professional.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal, and why?──────

A cat. Those furballs have as much attitude as I do. Plus, they like to cuddle!

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don't feel emotions strongly?──────

I'm certain. Writing is regarded as a learned skill as much as it is seen a talent. I write fiction after all and majority of the things I write about, I've never experienced.

Name an underappreciated book that you love──────

Calling My Name by Liara Tamani.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?─────

Yes! Since November is steadily approaching I've decided to participate in NaNoWriMo. I'm currently still planning a supervillain/superhero book with diverse characters and a SUPER gripping plot(pun intended) It's called "Shades of Ecstasy" and the book is up on my profile!

Finally, how do you celebrate when you finish your book?─────

I give myself a well-deserved nap and a pat on the back after I stuff myself with food. The people who know I write in real life are few so there's nothing really big happening.

• • •

Thank you very much for your time!