Chapter 22: The Great Prank War

As of December 14th Harry and Gallatea were officially dating. They could hardly hide the fact, especially since they left the Forbidden Forest after the Care of Magical Creatures lesson holding hands. Their friends had been the first to pounce on them, asking a lot of questions and offering Harry congratulations on his daring rescue. The teacher told the pair she would be speaking to the founders about what had happened, glaring at a contrite Horatio as she said so. The rest of the lesson was declared a free period, and the seven friends headed up to the Gryffindor Room to discuss what had happened. As soon as the door closed, Hermione rounded on the Ravenclaws.

" How could you do this?! Dating! It's impossible! Harry, I've told you before, we can't interfere too much in their lives. And Gallatea, you are a lady of distinguished lineage, you should not be destroying your family's honour by carrying on like this! It's just not done!"

" Hermione, what are you on about? You can't think that…"

" Ron, stay out of this. I don't think you get it. In our time it is perfectly acceptable to have a boyfriend or girlfriend in school. You can even go through a few partners before finding the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. But in this time, things like that just aren't done! People are betrothed to a person selected by their parents, especially when they are members of prominent noble families. If Gallatea and Harry get together, it will be a scandal!"

" Hermione, shut up! I'm well aware of what is expected of me, and I accept the risks. Over the months you have been here I have grown to love Harry, and not just as a friend. On the first night I saw him I asked my mother for a betrothal, but she told me why that wasn't possible. Whoever I end up marrying, I know I won't feel for them half of what I feel for Harry. If he's leaving in a few short months, there is nothing I can do about it, but at least let us be happy while he is here."

Harry and Hermione were sat in stunned silence, Harry because of what Gallatea had said, and Hermione because her point had been reasonably contradicted. Harry turned to his girlfriend for confirmation of what she had said, not believing his ears.

" Did you say you loved me?"

Gallatea turned to the now distraught boy. He had started to shake, and she was getting worried. She turned to the others.

" Could you guys give us a minute?"

The rest nodded and promptly left the room. The girl turned to Harry and grasped his hands.

" Harry, I really do love you, and I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable…"

" NO! It…it's not that at all. It's just; no one that I can remember has ever told me they loved me."

Gallatea pulled the boy into her arms as the shaking subsided. He wrapped his arms around her as tight as he could before kissing her gently on the lips.

The following week saw the start of the Christmas holidays. Tuesday the 20th found Harry, Ron, Ardwick and Peeves in their corner of the library, plotting. Ardwick had called a meeting of the Marauders, having had a good idea. Peeves was positively bouncing in his seat in anticipation.

" Thank you all for coming on such short notice," Ardwick began, " But I have had a most splendid idea. After today, we have precisely four days before Christmas day. Now, I know we have been considering pulling a spectacular prank on Christmas day, and I have come up with a…an interesting way of deciding how it is organised. I propose a prank war over the next four days, and the one to be the most successful will be allowed to plan the Big Prank on the 25th. What do you say?"

The other three boys looked mildly interested. Peeves asked the obvious questions.

" How exactly would this prank war of yours work? And how would it be decided who won?"