Chapter 18: Quidditch? What's Quidditch?

The biggest shock for Harry and Ron came in the second week of October. As usual, the group was gathered in the library for a study session. Ardwick, Gallatea and Christabel were doing the tonnes of homework they had been set for over the weekend, and Ron, Hermione and Ginny were practicing their invisibility. Hermione had nearly managed to complete her training, and Ron wasn't far behind. Ginny was still having some problems because she feared not being able to see herself. She would get semi-transparent and start to panic. Harry had tried to help her but he wasn't getting very far. At that moment Harry was trying to get her to relax enough to become more transparent.

After a while, Ron let out a loud whoop of joy as he finally managed to complete the invisibility transformation. Hermione yelled in outrage, as when they had started she had been ahead of him. Now she found her preoccupation with an Arithmancy question had lost her her lead. Ginny had given up and was sitting with Christabel and helping her with her herbology. Ardwick had given up on his homework and was watching to see how much progress Hermione was making. Harry and Ron joined him at his table to watch. He looked on confused at his friends' conversation.

" So, Harry, what sort of chance do you think the Cannons have of winning this season?"

" Well, you'll just have to wait until we get home to find out. I mean, it's not like people from our time can send us the quidditch results with an owl."

" True. Hey, have you noticed something?"

" What?"

" They don't have any House teams here. I mean, you'd think they would play quidditch here. The quidditch pitch hasn't even been built."

" Ron, have you even considered that they don't play quidditch because it hasn't been invented yet?"

" Oh."

" Yes 'oh'. How many times have you read 'Quidditch Through the Ages'?"

" Quite a few…"

" And what does it say there?"

" That quidditch was created in the time of the founders…"

At this point Ardwick thought it prudent to interrupt. After listening to the conversation for a few minutes he surmised they were talking about something they had in their time that wasn't around in his. He was immensely curious about this 'quidditch', as the other two boys seemed really excited talking about it.

" Um, guys? What's quidditch?"

" Guess that answers the question of whether it's been invented or not."

" Harry!"

" What?"

" Never mind."

The two boys turned to Ardwick. Seeing the expectant look on his face they glanced at each other and decided to explain. After all, Harry thought, what harm can it do? He turned to Ron to ask his friend for help explaining the complex rules of quidditch.

Once they had finished, Ardwick was sat with an amazed yet faintly confused look on his face. He had grasped the basic idea, but would need to see a game in action before he fully understood the attraction to the sport. Taking in his expression, Harry had a brainwave.

" Ron, go back to your dorm and bring your copy of 'Quidditch Through the Ages'. If Ard reads that it'll probably clarify a few things. Plus it has moving pictures of famous games, so it might help if he can see some of the moves."

Nodding in agreement Ron left the library to bring the book. As soon as he left, Harry waved his hand and thought, Accio book. A few minutes later, the book Ginny had bought him for his birthday, 'A Seeker's Guide to Legal Dirty Tactics', came flying through the library doors. Harry gave Ardwick a smug look.