Chapter 21: Fantastic Beasts and What NOT To Do To Them

Comenzar desde el principio

" Godric! You know…I…get help…Rowena…heal you, and…Helga…herbs for this sort of thing."

" I know…have to…the students. I know…training…Harry. Are you…sleeping?"

" I'll look…"

Harry jumped back into his bed, turning his back to where he knew Lolide would be coming in to check on him. He closed his eyes, feigning sleep when she came in, and sighed in relief when she left again without comment. He had had a lot of practice pretending to be asleep after the Dursleys, so he was confident he could fool anyone. Not long after, Gryffindor bade good night to the elf and left the infirmary. Harry thought back on what he had heard, thinking, I'll have to tell the others about this…

Monday the 12th December found Harry still sitting in the infirmary, his friends all gathered around him. They had gone to visit him straight after breakfast and would be heading to their first class soon enough. He wanted to tell them what he had heard the night before, but knew he had to omit certain facts, such as the language the adults were speaking in at the time. He knew he was not supposed to tell anyone about the lessons he had been having from Lolide, as if he told they would be discontinued. Harry didn't want that to happen, as he was really enjoying the lessons. Lolide seemed to think he had some elven blood somewhere in his past, as he had really taken to elven magic. He found it fascinating, and was making spectacular progress. The problem was, if he didn't tell his friends that the pair had been speaking in Lolide's language, he would have no excuse for why he didn't hear the whole conversation. He would have to think on his feet, and avoid as many questions as possible, which would be a little difficult with Hermione around. Taking a deep breath, he prepared for disaster.

" Um…guys? I heard something last night that you might find interesting…"

" What was that, Harry?" Gallatea asked him.

" Well you know Slytherin was talking to the snakes about Gryffindor visiting Lolide?"

Six affirmative nods made him plough on.

" Well, last night he was in the infirmary. I woke up in the night and heard them talking…I couldn't really hear from over here, but from what I could hear, Gryffindor has been struggling with the lessons he has been giving us. Lolide said something about his heart, and how it was getting harder to treat him. She suggested talking to Ladies Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw about it, but I don't think he was too happy about the idea."

" Is that all you found out, Harry?"

" I'm afraid so, 'Mione. But if this is the year that…," looking around at Ardwick, Christabel and Gallatea, "…um, the big event happens, like we think, then I suggest we do as much as we can to help."

As expected, Hermione was the first to object. Harry had been thinking about what was going on earlier that morning. He had gotten the feeling that this would be the year that Slytherin would split from the other founders and leave Hogwarts. If it wasn't this year, then it would be soon, was the conclusion he had come to. The events certainly seemed to fit. However, if Gryffindor's health was failing, and it was a result of the extra training he was giving them, then Harry felt it was their responsibility to help. Hermione, however, didn't quite see it that way…

" Harry, we talked about this after the quidditch pitch fiasco. We can't just go around changing time, it's not right. It's out of our hands and you know it! We've already done enough damage, we don't want to add to that. You have to think of the consequences…"

" Hermione, I have thought of the consequences. I've also listened to Ginny…"

" Me? What have I said?"