"He didn't?" Kai immediately turns his attention back to Riven. "Are you really that ashamed of me?"

"I'm not going to bring up your name when you're not even mentioned," Riven crosses his arms. "Besides, why would I when I didn't know if you'd return from your trip alive?"

Kai's mouth drops open and Riven smirks. I wasn't quite sure what was going on but Alisha rubbed her head annoyed. She looks at Riven and shoves Kai aside.

"Listen if he's here to see you then fine," she says. "But if he comes near me or pulls something like that again I will have him arrested!"

Alisha looks at Kai and brushes his shoulder as she walks out of Riven's office.

"If you really cared about me that much then maybe you shouldn't have gone behind my back!" Alisha slams the door shut behind her and Kai immediately lays in the chair letting out a depressing sigh.

"That girl," he mumbles. "She still believes I went behind her back. Why would I want to hurt her when it's clear how much I care about her?"

Riven and I look at each other.

"I- I should get going too," I say quickly, picking up the files and looking away from Riven. "I'll let you two be alone."

"Hang on!" Kai shouts. "You don't have to leave, I would like your advice."

"My advice? But you don't even know me."

"Yeah I know, but clearly my best buddy here does," Kai says with a grin. "Why do you think Alisha hates me so much for something I didn't even do?"

"Well um... I'm not really sure considering I don't know the situation." I say hesitantly. "But if I had to guess, it's probably because you're too busy trying to win her back."

"Huh?"

"I mean the rose is really sweet, but it's pretty clear Alisha doesn't really care for that. Maybe you should try just talking to her, you know like a normal person?"

"A normal person huh?" Kai says scratching his head. "But what if she doesn't listen?"

"You won't know unless you try," I shrug my shoulders. "For the little time I've known Alisha, it doesn't seem she cares for flattery or gifts. She's a businesswoman, so maybe you need to take it seriously."

"Hmm, you might be right," Kai says as he runs up to me and hugs me. "Thanks, Violet!"

"N- No problem." I pat his back.

"I swear you need to learn what the hell personal space is!" Riven says as he grabs Kai's collar pulling him off me. "You can't just do whatever or touch whoever you please."

"Sheesh, why are you being so overprotective?" Kai says as Riven pushes him to the chair. "Is there something going on with you two?"

I look over at Riven but Riven doesn't turn around, he lets out a sigh and puts his hand in his pocket.

"The only thing that's going on is that I won't have my assistant be harassed by you and your incompetence," he says with a stern voice. Riven then turns around and looks at me with ice-cold eyes. "You may leave now Violet."

"S- Sure."

"Hold on," Kai calls out to me. "How do you feel about going out tonight?"

"What?!" Riven shouts.

I look over at Riven who quickly collects himself by clearing his throat.

"I mean, you don't even know her Kai," he says with a dark glare. "And what will Alisha think?"

"But I want to know her, she is working with you Riven so she must be pretty cool." Kai winks at me playfully. "Besides I won't hit on her or anything so there's no reason to bring up your sister unless you're the one feeling jealous?"

"Riven's jealous?"

"The answer is no," Riven demands. "Violet has to be here tomorrow and I won't have her working hungover."

"Yeah well, I didn't ask you," Kai looks over at me with a smile. "Come on Violet, a couple of drinks wouldn't hurt right?"

Riven looks at me and I look at him. Something in his eyes said to refuse, but that wouldn't be fun and if Riven really is jealous then maybe this could work to my advantage. I turn to look at Kai and smile.

"You know what, I'd love to go out for drinks tonight."

I hear Riven sigh at my words and immediately turns away from me with a somewhat annoyed expression. Kai stands up eagerly and walks over to me placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Awesome, here's my number I'll text you the address," he says happily before turning to look at Riven. "Don't worry buddy she'll be safe."

Kai leaves Riven's office and leaves us in the room alone. I won't lie, the tension in the room was almost unbearable but Riven's silences spoke volumes. I watched as he walked over to his desk and sat in his chair ignoring me, I rolled my eyes at his arrogance and walked to the door.

"Don't go out with him Violet," he demands. "I mean it."

"And why shouldn't I?" I turn slightly looking back at him. "You're only my boss from nine to five, what I decide to do afterward is my problem, not yours."

"Dammit why are you being so stubborn," he shouts. "Are you actually interested in Kai or is this just to get back at me?"

"Get back at you?" I scoff. "Not a chance, my life does go on Riven. The only problem is you didn't continue yours, because you're too busy being stuck in the past."

"It's not like that," he says looking away. "It's just complicated, you wouldn't understand."

I shake my head and look away from him.

"Yeah well, it's not like you would understand me either."

I leave his office closing the door behind me, things between us have drifted further than I expected. But how much longer was I going to lie to not only him but myself?

Please vote by tapping your screen and clicking the star in the bottom left corner if you're enjoying this story! ☆♡