─ FORTY-NINE. REAL LIFE

49. MISCOMMUNICATION

tw: drugs & alcohol

tw: drugs & alcohol

¤¤¤¤¤

I was having one of those weeks where I felt like absolute shit. I didn't want to do anything but lay in bed and sleep. But at the same time, I couldn't sleep. My mind was just a mess and it didn't matter that I took my anxiety meds every night, I still couldn't sleep peacefully. It obviously didn't help that I felt like there was nobody I could talk to about this.

I felt bad for thinking about it, but I was thankful Shawn wasn't in LA this week. I didn't even know why I didn't want Shawn's company, I just knew that if he was here and around me I'd accidentally snap at him. What also didn't help was that my anxiety was telling me stories about Shawn and the Met Gala when obviously nothing was going on between him and Hailey anymore.

So there I was, laying in bed, under my blanket, staring at the picture Shawn posted the other day of him and Hailey at the gala.

Coincidentally, Shawn's name flashed across my screen and a picture of us together did too, signaling that he was facetiming me. I let the facetime ring out like I had been the last three days or so. A minute later, his name flashed across my screen again. This time, I picked up the facetime call.

"Hey babe" I said, my voice muffled by my blanket.

"Hey, Nova, are you okay? You haven't been picking up" Shawn said worriedly. I moved the blanket from over my mouth.

"I'm fine" I said as happily as I could. Obviously it wasn't enough because Shawn furrowed his eyebrows.

"Something's up," Shawn stated.

"Seriously, I'm okay. What did you need?" I asked.

"Uhm, I'm actually in Toronto right now. I know I said I'd be coming back to LA but I'm not back for another week" Shawn answered.

I shrugged, although he couldn't see it over the phone. "Okay that's cool" I faked a smile.

"Okay, something's wrong" Shawn sat up, "What is it?"

"Nothing, seriously. Leave it" I shook my head.

"Come on, Nova. Talk to m–"

"Shawn" I cut in, "I don't want to talk to you, okay? I'm sorry, I- I don't" I quickly ended the facetime call.

shawn.

I immediately went to my messages to text Nova. She hadn't been replying for the past few days or returning my calls. It'd been the longest we'd gone without talking in a while.

'Nova, I'm sorry for pushing you. Are you okay?'

Read.

I couldn't help the crazy stupid thoughts that began running through my mind.

'Are we okay'

Read. Oh wait, typing.

'idk'

Oh. Did something happen? Did I do something since London? I set my phone down and took a deep breath.

"Hey, Aaliyah, I'm going out" I poked my head into her room, "Tell mom and dad when they get home"

"Okay" Aaliyah nodded.

~~~

"Oh, hey! Shawn!" Louis, the bartender, nodded at me when I sat down.

"Hi" I nodded, "You remember what I always get right?"

"Uhm, yeah... You good? You look a little faded" Louis asked.

"I had a little something outside. I'm fine" I nodded.

"I thought I saw you here" A familiar voice said behind me.

"Oh, hi" I smiled at her.

"So what's up, Canada? Thought you were in LA with your girlfriend" She said sarcastically. I could tell she was a lot more wasted than I was.

"Nova isn't my girlfriend" I shook my head, "I don't really know what we are"

"Oh, that wasn't what I heard but I guess" She nodded.

After a good amount of drinks, I could feel the alcohol kick in. Mix that with what I smoked outside... not a very good combination. I usually wouldn't smoke and then go out in public but I guess plans change.

"Hey do you wanna get outta here?" She asked, "My hotel's across the street"

I downed a shot, "What?"

"Old habits die hard, right Canada?" She raised her eyebrow, standing up.

I followed her, "Right, Phoenix"

¤¤¤¤¤

in honor of reaching 10k reads, i'm adding some flavor to the plot hehe 😈

btw if you don't remember, shawn and phoenix used to be fuck buddies

also ik that shawn likes weed but i'm not sure what his limits are when it comes to smoking in public and since this is my oWN story... yeah he smokes when his anxiety levels get high in this book

[ 10.29.20 ]