14. POTTERDALIS WATCH

Not long after, the sun was already hanging low on the horizon as they tracked over a hillside, gloriously free of snow. They hadn't been travelling on foot for long, but Gene was growing weary, slinging her bag higher over her shoulder to ease the tension in her muscles.

"I'll carry that." Ron spoke suddenly from beside her.

Gene tore her eyes from the orange sky, staring for a moment before removing the bag from her back and placing it in Ron's hand, landing heavily before she kept on walking.

"Not still mad at him, are you?" Harry murmured, causing a small smile to tug at her lips.

"No." she returned truthfully, "Just making the most of it." a glint of mischief in her eyes as Harry mustered a laugh, shaking his head gently.

She overheard their conversation, something to do with a radio show, though she couldn't quite understand why that was important.

"There's this one programme that tells the news like it really is. All the others are on You-Know-Who's side and are following the Ministry line, but this one, it's great." Ron told Harry, "Problem is, they can't do it every night, they have to keep changing locations in case they're raided, and you need a password to tune in and I missed the last one." he muttered.

Gene lifted her head as they reached the peak of the hill, seeing a strange looking house in the distance, a black cylinder against the sky.

"Luna?" Ron said.

"Luna." the three chorused.

Ron and Hermione climbed the stairs first, Gene and Harry following the narrow steps not far behind as Hermione rapped against the door three times. The door swung open and Xenophilius Lovegood appeared, barefoot, wearing a soiled nightshirt, appearing to them a little more disheveled than usual.

"What is it? Who are you? What–" he began to ask, as Harry made his way up the stairs, Gene following, and his jaw went slack at the sight of them.

"Hello, Mr. Lovegood. I'm Harry Potter. This is Genevieve Fiordalis. We met a few months back?" he said, watching as Xenopholius' eyes drifted between the two in silence.

"Would it be okay if we came in?" Gene said softly, "It won't take long, sir. I promise."

They were let in soon after, brushing past great towers of Quibbler back-issues, rising to the ceiling, along with all sorts of decor lined the walls. They took a seat, Gene having to share the small sofa with Ron, tightly packed, to her annoyance, but seemingly not to Ron's as she caught a glimpse of his ears, tinged pink. Xenophilius returned with a wavering tray of cups and a kettle, rattling as he began to hand each of them a cup.

"Where is Luna, sir?" Gene asked, lifting the cup to her lips and drinking, only to have to attempt to hide her grimace at the taste.

"Luna? Oh, she'll be along." he nodded distantly. "Now, how can I help you, Mr. Potter and Miss. Fiordalis?" he asked.

Harry glanced at Gene who nodded to him, "Well, sir, it's about something you were wearing around your neck at the wedding. A symbol." he said.

"You mean this?" Xenopholius reached into his nightshirt and pulled out a chain with the triangular eye. Harry reached forward, turning the metal of the symbol, nodding.

"What we wondered, sir, is, well, what is it?" he asked.

"What is it? Well, it's the sign of the Deathly Hallows, of course." Xenopholius returned.

"The what?" the four of them asked at once.

"The Deathly Hallows. I assume you're all familiar with 'The Tale of the Three Brothers'?" he asked.