ten.✔

Nearly fifteen hours had passed since I'd last seen Wraith. Not a text or a single phone call. Around lunch I started to question if I was the one in the wrong. I thought about calling Caroline, but I already knew her answer so I send Cole a text.

SCARLETT: r u free 4 lunch today?

He replies within minutes.

COLE: im @ a jobsite off Broker Rd. but i wouldn't object 2 lunch (winking face)

SCARLETT: hows 20 mins?

COLE: make it 15. im starved

I grin to myself and make two sandwiches, sure to fill Cole's with plenty of ham. I grab a bag of chips, some drinks and I'm out the door.

It's not hard to find the jobsite as a large Young Construction sign is outside the chain link fence. It looks like they are building a new commercial building as I enter the open gate. Easily five Young Construction rigs are parked along with a few subcontractors here and there. I spot Cole's truck and park beside it in the rock. I throw my sunglasses on my dash and straighten my own Young Construction ball cap Cole's dad gave me when I was about ten. I'd wore a old baggy t-shirt I'd cut a wider neck hole out of so it hung off my shoulder with my cut-offs and Chucks.

I threw my ponytail over my shoulder as I grabbed the lunch basket and walked over to Cole's tailgate. I pulled it down before sending him a text.

"Aren't you sweet," a raspy voice causes me to turn. An older man, probably in his early fifties and is clearly a plumber, grins at me with a missing front tooth.

"Hello, sir," I nod.

"You must be Mr. Young's gal," he murmurs. "Lucky man," he nods and continues on his way before I can correct him. I watch him go; wondering if that's what most people thought when they saw Cole and I.

"Not a moment late, Trouble," Cole suddenly at my side stops all those thoughts. "Want to eat in the cab?" he asks. "I'd rather not have you be stared at the whole time," he nods at the workers that are, unexpectedly, all watching.

"Sure," I say, confused by the attention. He grabs the basket as we walk around the truck. Cole looks the same as he always does at work, the dark gray polo, jeans and his own ball cap.

I jump into the passenger seat and push it all the way back as Cole sets the basket on the console, doing the same.

"What's up?" he asks when I hand him his sandwich.

"I can't just have lunch with my best friend?" I coyly murmur.

"I am thankful for the food," he smiles. "But you've got that look."

"What look?" I gape.

"Like you want to say something," he replies then takes a bite.

"Am I that obvious?" I huff, taking my own bite.

He shrugs. "Maybe not to a stranger," he says. "What's going on up there, Trouble?"

"Wraith and I got into a huge fight last night," I exhale. "And I'm starting to think maybe I was in the wrong."

"You're going to have to share the situation with the class," he wiggles a brow at me.

I roll my eyes at him. "They expect me to quit my job and they want to move to Florida."

"They?"

"Wraith and his parents," I take another bite. "I can have two kids, no more or less and my life would revolve strictly around them and Wraith. He wants us to move before the holidays."