5. THE BRIGHEST STAR

Start from the beginning

The door to the cafe squealed open, brash against her ears and she tried to hide her grimace as she watched two men in construction uniforms enter the cafe through her peripheral, heading straight to the counter. She narrowed her eyes, watching them closely as she faintly listened to the conversation taking place.

"My rucksack." Harry groaned in realisation, "With all my things, I left it back at the Burrow–"

Hermione shook her head as Harry eyed the beaded purse that lay on the table.

Gene stared at her warily, "My journal?" she asked, and Hermione's face said it all.

"You're joking." Harry said.

"I've had the essentials packed for days. Just in case." Hermione shrugged lightly.

Gene nearly smiled at her resourcefulness, as Ron began to complain about his jeans, while Hermione argued with him. Her smile had faltered as her eyes shifted back to the workmen, squinting as she watched one of their hands reaching into their pocket, very slowly and with intent.

"Get down." Gene muttered under her breath, their conversation ceasing as the man spun around, wand drawn.

They caught on a few seconds later than Gene had hoped, as she threw herself over Harry in protection, both of them tumbling to the ground as a burst of green light blasted in their direction, causing the tile on the wall to shatter overhead.

Gene scrambled across the floor, ducking behind an overturned table to catch her breath as the others did the same, glancing at one another to ensure they were alright for the moment.

"Stupefy!" Harry exclaimed. He rose to his feet, a jet of red light striking one of the Death Eater's in the face and he crumpled to the ground instantly.

"Expulsio!" the other said.

The table behind Harry exploding as the spell ricocheted, sending shards of glass everywhere as Gene managed to avoid any long lasting injury. Hermione and Ron stood at once, striking him with twin stunning spells before Gene stood up.

"Petrificus Totalus!" she cried out for good measure, sending him to the floor.

The room went still for a moment. They were processing what had just occurred moments ago, only Gene wasn't doing a very good job of it.

"Lock the door, get the lights." Harry instructed them.

Hermione using her wand to draw the blinds as Gene bolted the door, while Ron clicked his Deluminator, pitching the cafe into shadow.

"This one's name is Rowle. He was on the Astronomy Tower the night Snape killed Dumbledore." Harry eyed one of the Death Eaters.

"This is Dolohov." Ron walked around the counter, the other three following though they stood a little further back, " I recognise him from the wanted posters." he rolled him other with his foot, Dolohov's eyes shifting in fear between the three before looking back at Ron, unable to move after Gene cursed him.

"He killed my grandma." Gene murmured, her blood running cold at the name.

She felt sick and she felt a terrible fit of rage, bubbling beneath the surface as she went to step forward until she felt a hand wrap around her wrist.

"Gene." Ron breathed her name, eyeing her uneasily.

She noticed how he looked at her, another wave of nausea overwhelming her because she never wanted to see that look on his face again. She finally stepped back with some reluctance. His grip around her wrist became gentle now, slowly but surely drawing her closer, and further away from Dolohov.