Derek - Chapter Twenty

TW for this chapter. Proceed with a small amount of caution.

"Let your boys test their wings. They may not be eagles, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't soar free." -C.J. Milbrandt

'~-Spencer-~'

October 8th, 2020

I groaned as my phone rang, waking me up. I slowly picked it up and pressed the green button.

"Good morning, Doctor of the Dark Ages." Penelope chirped, causing another sound of disapproval to escape my mouth.

"Garcia, what time is it?" I asked, turning on my bedside lamp. Amelia groaned beside me.

"It's five A-M. Unfortunately, we have a case. It's pretty ugly." She tried to sympathize with me. I wouldn't have minded if it were any other day, but today was Crystal and Derek's birthday.

"Alright," I sighed, sitting up on the right side of the bed. "I'll be there soon."

Penelope wished me farewell as she hung up. Amelia, however, glared at me from her side.

"This early? Today?" She complained. Remorse filled my hazel eyes.

"Serial killers don't always take breaks when you want them to." I mused, putting on my work attire.

"When will you be home?" Amelia asked, sitting up.

I shrugged, styling my hair in the mirror. "I'll say goodbye to Crystal."

I kissed her swiftly, then exited our room. I made my way downstairs and towards my older daughter's room. 

I opened the door, but to my surprise, I spotted Crystal lying wide-awake in her bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Hey, Sweetie." My daughter looked up at me.

"Hi, Dad." She responded, a sigh escaping her lips.

"How'd you sleep?"

"I didn't." Crystal mumbled as I sat on the edge of her silver bed. Insomnia.

"Well, I have a serial killer to catch. Happy twentieth birthday, Crystal." I whispered in her ear, kissing her soft nose.

"Be safe." She whispered back as I left her room. 

I left for work almost immediately- only staying to conjure a cup of coffee. As I approached a stoplight, I quickly pulled out my phone.

"Happy Birthday, my wonderful nineteen-year-old. Have fun today. No drinking." I texted, not expecting to get a response at this time of day.

I arrived at BAU headquarters, parking in their underground garage. The elevator doors opened a few seconds after I pressed the button, and I entered the enclosed space. Eventually, the sixth floor popped up, and I exited the elevator. 

"Hello, crime fighters!" Penelope greeted as everyone arrived at the round table, a remote in her hand. "Today, we are traveling to Rome- just not the one you initially think of when you hear that name. Three- now four- bodies have been discovered in Rome, Georgia over the past two weeks." Three faces appeared on the screen. They were young boys with dark hair and dark eyes. "They're all young adults approximately eighteen years old. The fourth victim, who was found this morning, has yet to be identified."