Chapter 4 Worn Out Workout

Bopper's narration

After my first major win, Joe decided that I needed something that even the big leagues were too pathetic for.

At this point after beating the iconic Toro Tauro, I felt I would take any training routine.

Though I was far from ready for the real mess I was getting myself into.

————————————————————————

Normal POV

Empire City (Brook Avenue)

Joe leans against an old light pole, waiting for his student to come so they can get to work.

Ben arrives just in time and tells him. "I brought more water and some towels for today."

Joe nods and gestures him to follow. "This way, kid. We're setting up shop here."

The two walk down the empty street, with only one police car coming by during it's patrol.

After a few minutes, they reach an old worn out gym with faded paint, a broken bicycle rack and a sign that lost most of it's letters except for a "D" and a "E".

Ben asks Joe as he puts down the supplies. "What is this place?"

Joe answered with plain voice. "Dixie's Dumbbells."

Ben tilts his head. "Is this an old gym? Why is it like this?"

Joe replies as he tries to open the door. "Ever since IBT could afford it's own training facilities, Dixie's gym has been left behind by the league and had it's funding dropped."

Ben just helps pry it open once Joe got it budging a little, bringing them all inside the dusty interior.

The old treadmills, ellipticals and weights were left to be scattered across the room as dust and rust built up on them, with only the old boxing ring in the middle holding some of it's former looks.

Ben whistles in admiration as he looks around. "So this is where all of the legends worked out?"

Joe nods and points at one of the ellipticals. "Rivet used to train there back in the day."

Ben looks over at it in surprise. "That exact one?"

Joe chuckles a little. "Mate, I've been here so many times, I mapped out exactly where everyone usually gets their routine in."

The kangaroo points out different spots around the gym. "Toro used to beat up that punching bag when his horns were still the size of chess pieces. Valkyrie used to hang from rings on the ceiling up there. Gravedigger used to lift weights over there in that corner. And in his final years, Caesar jogged on that treadmill."

Ben looks at each spot in amazement, his imagination of the events taking control as he could only gasp out, "Whoa..."

An old female voice gave a small chuckle. "Yep...those were the good ol' days."

A Mobian Rottweiler dog came over to them, still wearing fitness shorts and shirt that showed off her strong build, despite her old age.

Ben extends out a hand. "The name's Ben Gruff. You must be Dixie, right?"

She took it and gave a hard shake. "Of course, teddy. Who else is runnin' this dump?"

Joe looks at her. "We came to use your gym and help rebuild it a little. Other than that, it's pretty much HQ for us."