Chapter 1 The Game of Champions

Bopper's narration

While I did have a good life at Greenwood Falls, I always felt there was more to my life than living as a farmer for my life there.

There was a hunger and desire inside me to go beyond the mountains and make my own future.

I was usually shy to tell Pa this because I thought he'd want me to stay home and keep the farm going until he died.

Little did I know...he wanted something different from me.

————————————————————————

Normal POV (Bopper's age: 10 years old)

Gruff Farm

Ben sat down next to George after a long day of work, relaxing on the wooden porch of the house.

George wiped his head with his handkerchief. "Nice work today, son. With the way the field's growin', we'll have plenty of food for the next harvest season."

Ben fans himself a little. "Thanks Pa."

George looks at him. "Mind if I ask ya somethin' Ben?"

Ben looks at him, worried he might be in trouble. "Did I do something wrong?"

George pats his head. "No... I just wanna have a heart to heart with you."

Ben nods and waits to hear the question.

George sighs. "I know it's too early to ask, but I thought I put my help when I can. What do you want to do when you grow up?"

Ben was surprised by the answer. "I thought I'd was gonna work the fields with you?"

George shook his head. "I may want ya to stay and keep family tradition going, but I know you'll grow up one day to be your own man one day. Bears don't stay with the parents forever, because we grow up to leave them and hunt our own food."

Ben just stays quiet and let's him continue.

George points a finger at his chest. "Even if I pass before you get what you needed, I'll always be watching you here."

Ben asks. "You want me to follow my dreams?"

George shook his head. "Not exactly..."

Ben frowns at this response, confused at what sounded like a 180 turn on the choice.

George chuckles and pats his shoulder. "I ain't saying I won't help ya with your future, but I'm saying don't make it your dreams."

Ben tilts his head. "What do ya mean?"

George answers. "I want you to follow your instincts, not your dreams and passions."

Ben breathes out in relief, but still curious what he meant.

George responds to his confusion. "Sometimes, your dreams and desires ain't what you want or need. When I was your age, I wanted to be a cowboy like your grandpa, but I realized after he almost got killed once that I might not really want to do it."

He then smiles at him. "I found out what I really wanted all along was to have a farm and raise you and your brother."

Ben giggles as his dad pets his head some.

George looks directly at Ben's eyes. "Never tell yourself it's impossible to get where you really belong. Dreams and passions can end.....but willpower and hidden skills don't. Remember that son."