Chapter 3 Cautionary Coaching

Bopper's narration

It was around this time I met my coach.

This guy was the reason I pushed through my limits to fight massive opponents.

Whenever I felt worn out, he was there to get me on my feet again and yell at me to keep moving.

Our first meeting didn't turn out all that friendly.

————————————————————————

Normal POV

IBT Training Facility

Ben sits in a chair, waiting for his meeting with his coach to begin.

The door then opened to reveal a male kangaroo wearing a beach shirt and sunglasses, walking towards him with a special type of brace on his left leg.

McDaniel speaks up when he reaches them. "Ben, allow me to introduce you to.....Joseph Kierkegaard."

Joseph looks at him. "Just stick with Joe, mate. I ain't gonna waste my breath waiting for you to get my whole name in."

McDaniel awkwardly scratched his head. "Right....anyways, I'll be in my office if you need me. Ben here should be an interesting challenge for you."

The CEO walked off, leaving the kangaroo and Bear alone to get to work.

Ben was about to go shake his hand, but Joe swats it away.

The old kangaroo glares at him. "Listen mate, I'm not here because I like you or that I'm getting a paycheck. I'm here because gold boy was too desperate to find some amateur to babysit you while he counts his income. So if you know what's best for you, either keep quiet during the workout...or quit now before you get in the morgue. Did I make myself clear, teddy?"

Ben nods and doesn't say anything, putting manners first before pride.

Joe nods and goes to the bench press. "Good. Why don't you get busy and start using the equipment like it's supposed to."

Ben just gets to a treadmill and gets to work, knowing that Joe wasn't in the mood for organizing any training routines for him.

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

I know what you're thinking right about now.

"How the heck could he treat you like that?"

Well it didn't surprise me anyways since Pa told me he wouldn't go easy on me when I got old enough, so I should be ready for when others get even harsher.

Don't worry, Joe didn't stay a jerk and a bum forever, though it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

For the next few weeks, Joe didn't do anything to help me except toss me a water bottle and towel or get some staff to fix something I accidentally broke.

He really didn't want to be here, and after all I went through, I couldn't blame him.

All he was really getting out of me is the "entertainment" of seeing a rookie getting plowed by the first wave.

Only one thing could change his mind, but it wasn't easy from what I did.

My first match arrived...

...and a local audience was about to be exposed to the new player on the block.

—————————————————————————