The Contract

Depuis le début

A Nightingale flew into my cell from the bars and landed in front of me. Its little head ticked, black beady eyes staring me down. It was normal for birds to fly into here from time to time, although they were usually more occupied by my dead cell neighbors, whose rotting bodies were in various stages of decomposition.  I smiled at it, "You are a handsome one aren't you?"

The bird twittered, still staring at me as I bit my lip and pulled out the small bread crust I saved from the half of burnt loaf that was thrown into my prison four days ago. 

"I'm deeply sorry it's not much... but it's better than rotting, diseased flesh." I broke up the crust and watched the bird eat it.

"You certainly are quite a soul." a deep voice mused.

I jumped and looked around, but there wasn't anyone here. I look back at the bird, shaking my head. "Fantastic. As if I wasn't crazy enough, now I'm hearing voices."

I laughed pitifully at myself and held my hand out, the nightingale took the invitation and sat politely on my middle finger. 

"Oh, how beautiful you are." I hummed softly.

"Yes," it said. "Quite a soul."

My eyes widened then I relaxed into a smile, "A talking Nightingale, maybe I'm dreaming? Although I would call it more of a nightmare."

The nightingale nodded his head. "It's not a dream or a nightmare. I am a demon."

I blinked and slowly closed my eyes, I mentally counted to three in my head and when I opened them the bird was still there, although its eyes twinkled in something close to amusement.

"A demon?" I asked.

The bird nodded again, "Your selfish desires brewed such a tantalizing scent I had to investigate... Although you're not nearly what I was expecting." He chuckled, and I blinked again.

"Um... What do you want?"

"I'll make a contract with you. I'll help you achieve your deepest and greatest desires and when it's time, you will give me your soul."

 "A contract on my own terms? Sounds oddly counter-productive for a demon. Shouldn't it be you that creates the contract?"

The bird's black wings rustled and the deep voice responded again. "Souls happen to taste better when they're satisfied and willingly given."

I nodded slowly, taking in the information. "Okay. I want a contract."

 "What are the terms that you wish?"

I thought about it, I'm the last heir to the Rosewood family, therefore I'm a Lady in status. Also, my family is one of the most well-known caretakers of the underworld of London. My parent's corpses flashed into my eyes and I grew bitter.

"You will help me rebuild my family name. You will protect and serve me, never betray me, and will only act with my best interest or orders in mind.  You will also help me achieve revenge for the wrongdoings I have dealt with and make the ones that made me suffer, suffer just the same."

"Are you sure this is what you want?" the nightingale asked.

I looked at it with a fierce glare which indicated I wasn't joking at all. A low chuckle escaped from him.

"Very well. Where would you like your contact seal? The more obvious it is, the tighter our bond will be." he said.

I thought about the several places it could be. I pointed below at my collarbone right above my left breast. A handsome man stood before me, he had dark brown hair and the piercing crimson eyes.

He looked no older than me.. but you can't judge a demon by their physical look. He stepped forward, slowly encasing my body with his, and leaned down to my neck. His lips placed his kiss there and a red hot searing pain went through my body. I clenched my teeth and took a deep breath, trying not to scream out or thrash even though my eyes had watered from the excruciating pain. 

It was over soon after. 

My hand gently grazed over the tender flesh where the mark was now burned into my skin in a dark purple. It was an oddly elegant pentagram, which had a small rose at the tip of each star's point and vines going around the circle, long stems of blood was slowly sliding down my chest.

"It's beautiful." I whispered as I continued to glide my fingers across it lightly. 

I looked up at where my guardian now stood, and he kneeled down to me, his hand over his non-existent heart.

A wave of power and deep calmness had settled over me, I felt satiated like I had a long heavy meal, and it was a maddening feeling. A low almost shriek of giggles escaped me, and soon I heard voices coming down the stone hallway. 

"What are you giggling about brat?" one of the guards came stomping forward and glared at me through the bars. 

I recognized him immediately, he was the greasy man who always liked to sneak into my cage at all times of the night. I tilted my head, my mouth opening slightly. 

"I'm bored! I wanna play a little..." I took a few steps forward and gave the man a lookup and down, "Will you play with me?"

The guard rolled his eyes, "You always fight me when I go in there and now you're begging for me. Well, I'm not in the mood."

The guard begins to walk away and my face dropped into a blank and calculating expression. 

"Edward." I turned to the demon who was watching the exchange with vivid interest. 

"Bring him to me."

"Yes, My Lady." 

The guard stared at Edward as if he had just realized his presence. "How... How did you get in there?!" 

"Quickly now." I reiterated. 

Within moments and a very loud scream, the guard was now laying on the floor at my feet, his arm twisted in an unnatural way. 

"You know," I said, kicking him over with my foot and purposely ignoring the scream of agony when he landed on his broken arm. "When a lady asks you to do something... it's only polite that you do so." 

I didn't recognize my voice when I spoke... it was low and sinister, my words striking at the already fallen man. 

"Especially after all that you've done to me!" my voice broke a little at the end, but I cleared my throat as I rounded on the crying man. "You don't deserve hands if all you can do with them is defile others."

As if my new partner had heard my unspoken order, the man had cried out again and blood was splattered over the cell bars, tinting the air with a metallic scent. 

 I faced Edward. "Let's go, please take me to where my manor used to be... when we get to the area you will rebuild it and from then our contract begins."

I walked to the broken cell door, which was used to bring the guard in here and crunched one of the flailing man's dismembered hand under my foot.

Edward was by my side helping me over while looking down at me; a light smirk came across his mouth.

"Yes, my lady"