Josslyn:
thanks mom

"I said don't be bitter!"

"I'm not being bitter, I'm being normal!" Josslyn argued, looking at her brother in distaste. "Your wife is calling you" She smiled at him before waltzing out of the kitchen and into the garden.

"WHAT, SO YOU'RE JUST NOT GONNA COME SEE ME OFF?" Esmerelda said into her phone. Her mom had called her to 'just let you know that I'm in an urgent meeting and can't see you this morning'. "Mom, this is college. I'm not gonna be home for like six months and that's what you say?"

"Well, you had no problem illegally travelling across the country with that pathetic man you call a boyfriend for six weeks" Her mother spat back. 

"Why can't you fucking appreciate me for once!" Esmerelda screeched at her mother, being met with silence on the other end of the phone. "If you're gonna act like this then...then don't even bother contacting me again. Goodbye, Lucia"

She hung up the phone, throwing onto her bed and sighing. Her once vibrant room seemed so plain now that she no longer considered this place home. The vines that hung from the ceiling to the floor seemed inconvenient now that she looked at it, and all the pictures on the wall of her 'friends' from high school were like distant memories. 

"I don't even like these people" She said to herself, walking over to the wall to start taking the pictures down.

"Essy?" She heard a small voice say from the corridor. Her two little sisters had come home to visit from New Jersey for the summer, and Esmerelda felt stupid for not letting them know she wasn't going to be home. "Do you really hate mommy?"

"No, no of course not" Esmerelda replied, sounding more like she was trying to convince herself that she didn't hate her mother more than her six year old sister. "Sometimes grown ups just get into fights, that's all"

"But you're not a grownup" Rosie said, hugging the teddy she was holding closer to her. "You're still small, like me"

"I'm not small, Rosie, I'm eighteen" Esmerelda argued, putting the photos she had taken down into a pile on her empty desk. "And I'm leaving for college"

"I don't want you to go"

"Well, tough, Rosie!" She bellowed, her little sister flinching and the sudden aggressive aura that had filled the room. "I'm leaving, and there's nothing you can do about it."