Prologue

Prologue

One of my favorite things to do with my best friend is lie on the thick green grass watching the clouds and laughing about the shapes. The grass always tickles my skin. It feel like tiny little needle pricks on gentle stabbing at my silky, pale skin. My hair fans out around my head like a mane while I watch the fluffy white clouds in the sky, squinting my eyes to try and figure out what each one looks like. Today is different though, today there is no playing and especially no laughter. 

"I don't want you to go, I need my best friend"

"I don't want to leave here either, but my mommy said that I don't have a choice". I really don't want to have to leave. I love my house,  my friends and most of all, my best friend who lives next door.

"I am going to miss you!" He says as he rolls on his side and gives me an awkward side hug.

"I will miss you too!" I say wriggle in his arms so that I can hug him back. I hold on so tight that maybe if I don't let go mommy will let me stay.

Pulling away, he looks me in the eyes and says, "let's make a pact."

I look into his eyes to try to find a clue of what he is thinking "What type of pact?" I ask curiously, having no idea where he is going with this.

"Promise me that we will always be best friends and never forget each other. We should promise that will write and call each other everyday!"

"Yeah! And when I come back we will be best friends again. Nothing will change, I promise." I say enthusiastically with a huge, loving smile on my face. 

"I promise too!" he says with a beaming smile. 

"Mary! Come on, it's time to go!" I look over at my mother and then back to the boy lying next to me. We stand up together and walk over to the car that is packed full with my family's belonging. All the parents say goodbye to each other and his parents give me huge hugs. After the goodbyes, my parents hop into the car to wait for me. 

I turn to my best friend and give him a big hug, burying my face into the crook of his neck and squeezing tight. 

"Honey, we have to go", my mom says in a soothing voice

My best friend mutters a heartfelt goodbye in my ear and reluctantly lets go. I climb into the back seat of the car and immediately roll the window down. As soon as we start to drive away, I hear my best friend yell "Come back!"

I quickly closed the window, turned around, and tried to forget about the boy that I just left behind.

____________

I decided to start to edit this story! Yay!!!!

The editing process will probably be super slow, but it will come eventually. If you like my story please continue to read and comment/vote! 

Thanks for reading!