I pulled him over the living room table and raced up to my room to grab my books. Mum and Donny were still in there chatting. I'm glad I didn't end up having to do it. It'd be so long and tedious and I might've even missed Charlie along the way. The thought didn't feel great when I was getting so used to having him around me. He was my newest highlight to every day.

When I came back downstairs with my books and pencil case, I found him curled on the couch beside Tess picking up where I'd left off with my controller. Tess was kicking his ass. She might be thirteen, but she was kickass at racing games of any type since she did nothing but play whenever she's home.

Even I struggled against her, and we played together pretty frequently. And even though I could only see the backs of their heads, it felt so warm to see him being close with my sister. Even if he did rig himself to look taller like an idiot. Realizing I was beginning to gush – way too frequently – I shook my head and set my things down at the table beside his bag.

They could play for a while.

*

It'd been ten minutes since Charlie came to the table and set down to work with me. We were brainstorming ideas when Donny came down the stairs in dad's clothes, fitting a little snug but otherwise fine. All patched up, he looked surprisingly decent.

Maybe he was only so rugged because of his situation at home. Judging by the look on Charlie's face when he saw him, I'd say it was probably accurate.

"Who the hell is that?" Charlie whispered to me as Donny walked past us to the lounge. He sat beside Tess, accepting the controller she handed him without question.

"Donny," I whispered back.

"Horse-Face?" he asked. "Are you for real?"

I blinked. "Um, I think so."

He snickered until Mum came down the stairs in a minor scurry. "Sorry, sorry. Getting the drinks and snacks prepared now."

She brought us over some fruits and a glass of juice each, which we slowly munched on while working. We talked quietly amongst ourselves, enjoying the mood of partially dim lights as the sky darkened outside. The only thing ruining the poetic atmosphere was the sounds of the PS4 playing behind us, as well as Tessa's occasional cheers and clapping.

Also Donny's occasional awkward grunt.

But the most important thing was that I got to do this with Charlie.

"Okay, I've thought of a poem name," Charlie said, scribbling into his book before glancing up at me. "Have you thought of something yet?"

I shook my head. Now that we'd done a lot already, my brain was starting to hurt. And it still bugged me knowing he'd done something to become taller and was trying to play it off like it's nothing. Tom came by at six-thirty just when we were getting ready to eat. Mum cooked enough for them both, but Tom opted to take Donny out somewhere instead.

Step one to bonding now that they'd be living together for a short while, he'd said. It was good Donny was gone, but also good that he was safe from getting murdered by his dad or something. Things turned out pretty okay. After scuffing down cheese pasta and Charlie joking around with Dad at the dinner table, we continued working hard. I wanted to lie down on my bed at this point.

Tomorrow would be the day we received our Uni Prep cards and would be required to give a few preferences. I glanced up at Charlie right when Mum's words came back to me about becoming a psychologist or therapist. Just the fact that I was even doing poetry right now made me feel like I could do anything at this point; with Charlie at my side.